1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for pics of V-XT on new style GMC

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by monteballz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

I've been browsing these forums for a little while and I havent posted much. I've searched and I only found a couple pics. I have a new style 2500HD and i'm considering either an 8'2'' or a 9'2'' V-XT. I'm a little concearned about how low the ends will be in the V position. The front end is pretty low as it is(much lower than ford or dodge). Yes i'll be running timbrens and, No i'm not into cranking the T-Bars all the way up. So i'm just looking for some pics and some input. Thanks!

-Mike

2. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

8'2 VXT pics

here ya go, hope it helps. its a 3500 with a 8'2V-XT but you get a sense of what it looks like. The front end sagged a little but once we put the timbrens on it was fine.

Picture 206.jpg

Picture 205.jpg

Picture 204.jpg

Picture 206.jpg

Picture 205.jpg

Picture 204.jpg

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

just remember that no matter how tall the truck is, the push beam for Boss has to be 15.5" from the ground up to the center of the eye hole.

we have 9'2" v on our 2500HD and a 9'2" vxt on my for 350, even though the ford sits higher the wing tips are pretty much the same height from the ground. its just the sag you have to worry about, with timbrens you should be fine.

4. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

"RedsGarage25" In the second pic is the plow is complete "V" or just partially back?

5. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

sorry, its partial, it was a customers who we put it on for and I snapped a few shots before it left. If anything comes through the door ill take more

6. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

You can see mine in the V in my Avatar picture or in my profile pictures.
    The tips drag every once and awhile. Mainly pulling out of lots onto roads.
    But you bump the wing up and it is fine.

I have about 2.5 inches of lift in the front suspension - The picture is without weight in the bed.
    Right now I have about 700ibs of sand in the bed to balance it out. That changes the front angle a little.

7. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

"Nate" are you running timbrens up front? If your not how much sag do you get?

8. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

No I am not. Just cognito A Arms and Keys.
    With ballast on the back I get very little movement in the front when lifting the plow.
    The truck stays pretty level.
    The V picture makes the front end look squatty because there is no weight in the back.

9. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I'm not sure what you mean by "New" style but I have the 8'2" on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD and it handles it fine but with it V'd all the way, it barely covers the width of the truck. In fact I have a dent in my lower door panel from trying to cut back a snow bank. I had a 9'2" on it last weekend to move it for a friend and the tips were pretty darn low and I had my ballast in. But, I didn't crank up my torsion bars or put in timbrens. With the 8'2" it's fine. I usually just open it up a tad when traveling to get a little more clearance. I'm thinking of adding wings when finances allow.

10. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Here's a pic. Guess I can't post a pic more than once here :( I had others but it won't let me put them up.

TheBoss 002.jpg

11. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

I'm reffering to the truck when i say "new style". I'm debating between a 8'2'' and a 9'2''. I'm looking for pics of the plow up and in the V position. The roads here arent that great and a lot of the residential drives I do dip quite a bit.

12. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

If you are doing drives then go for the 8.2. I have been paying attention to the 9.2 trucks driving around and they seem to keep their V folded out. I am assuming for clearance of the tips.
    I thought it was odd that these V truck's blades were driving around straight. But I gotta think it is to keep them from dragging.

13. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I have an older style GMC but the suspenstion and how its sits should be almost identical. I run a 9.2 Boss V on it and just replaced the cutting edges to upgrade to the new style. On the old edges I could have it completely V'ed and still have a few inches on clearance. Due to the built in curb guards on the new style edges they now are only a fraction of an inch off the ground when completely V'ed. All you will need to do is pop out each wing just a very small amount.

14. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

It's not an XT.. but's you can still get the idea..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Yah, I figured that but wasn't sure if an 03 was considered "new style". I still think of it as new. I keep my vehicles forever.

My accounts are mostly residentials and my 8'2" works out well for them. I only had a 9'2" briefly to move it for my friend, but clearance was much more of an issue for it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  16. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we run a 9'2" v on our 02HD, pretty much the same suspension as the new styles and its completely fine. i wouldnt run anything smaller, you get plenty of clearance around the truck even in v mode and scoop. running proper ballast in the truck along with cranked tbars and it works fine. the edges are the same height off the ground as the 9'2" VXT on my F350

17. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Power V XT Clearance

I put my plow on today in case we get some snow. Doesn't look plowable at this point down on the shore but I'd rather be ready.

Here's some pics of it showing the clearance. The first 2 are fully V'd, the second 2 bumped out just a bit. The plow is up all the way in all of them. My ballast is in, at least 600 pounds of sand and salt in the bed, maybe 800lbs..I didn't count. This is the 8'2" Pover V XT on a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD. The last pic shows the position of my ballast..it's spread across most of the bed, not just the rear (note there's room for the single stage snowblower).

As you can see, bumping the wings out just a little makes a big diff in clearnace at the tips.

Hope this helps.

bossplowvclearance 001.jpg

bossplowvclearance 002.jpg

bossplowvclearance 004.jpg

bossplowvclearance 003.jpg

bossplowvclearance.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010