1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for pics of ultra to unimount adapter

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dcwn.45, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I am planning to get a new truck and want to continue to run my 8' unimount plow [at least for another year or 2]
    My plan is to get an ultramount truck side and the adapter to connect to my unimount plow.
    I think I may be able to find a used adapter, and should be able to sell it in the future [new or used]
    My plow has the one 2 prong power cable, and 1 other cable with smaller pins for everything else.
    My current truck is an 01 Dodge, I am looking at an 2011 Ford F350.
    I figure I will need everything new on the truck side, mount, wiring, I think I will be able to use my handheld controller though.
    I have seen the adapter on Western's parts website, but I would like to see a real pic on a real truck.
    Anyone using one?Any downside I should be aware of?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

First problem is that you have the two plug system on your plow, that means your controls and lighting wires are combined into one plug. You will need to convert your plow to three plug because neither the three or four port isomodule truck side wiring will accommodate the two plug plow.

As for the adapter :realmad: I am glad you are only using this as a short term solutionThumbs Up because in simple terms "they suck." They are far to close to the ground and they stick out too far putting extra stress on your front end. One of the great things about the Ultramount is that you can take the receivers off and get your ground clearance back. With the adapter it is not only a heavy pain in the but to remove & replace but it is like those old steam train cow catchers, they are way to low.

I personally do not have one but I have installed many, when the operators see them they usually are not impressed. After working with them they are disgusted. My advise.. as an operator and an installer.... sell the old plow & mount as is complete with existing wires & mount and then buy yourself a whole new plow with all the fixins.