1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by plows&tattoos, Nov 30, 2010.

1. plows&tattoos

plows&tattoos Junior Member
    from RI

Hey guys my kid want's to get involved more in my plowing business, he's 15 and responsible however for liability and insurance reasons it is not possible. I am kicking around the idea of purchasing him a used arctic cat 300 with a 48in plow and telling him to hustle and see what he can do on his own. I think the hard work and if he follows through can be a great motivator, after all it's how I got my start.

My question is, is the Artic Cat 300 strong enough? every review I have seen on the machine is a glowing endorsement that it can handle anything but I have no experience in mid size ATV's. it is 4x4 and I honestly don't see him doing a whole lot more than a handful of neighbors driveways, though some have inclines I'd say none are more than 100ft long

any input is appreciated

2. oldpeople2

oldpeople2 Junior Member

I think it would be great for your son to do snow removal. The 300cc will do fine as long as he is not into high drifting snow. Have him put some weight on the back of the ATV, take his time, and have him go down on the incline, plus he well have fun.
  3. tjslider

tjslider Member

The AC will do just fine... cleared a 1/2 mile gravel road many times with one. Add some weight to the back and get to work.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

you'll **** yourself when he comes home with a new quad hahaha because he took on a home depot by himself hahaha
  5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

go for it. the Cat will handle the 48" blade no problem till the snow is over 12" then you'll have problems but he's young and can plow with the storm.

plus at that age its more fun with an ATV.

sublime out.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

An Arctic Cat 300 will handle a 48" blade no problem. Good luck to him this Winter.
  7. plows&tattoos

plows&tattoos Junior Member
    from RI

LOL if he does I'll get back into commercial work and have him bid out my jobs

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

hahah thats the part i hate too, i thought my dad would retire and do that to keep busy,

so much for wishful thinking