1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for opinion on truck, odd needs.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Nov 21, 2011.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Ok here it is. Need a back up plow truck that will be a daily driver and haul the girlfriend and son. She will probably steal it when possible. Only need a 7 or 7.6 foot plow. But would also like to tow 3000 pounds max in summer. The two trucks i have are a 1995 f250 and a 2000 cherokee. The truck may be done after this winter and the cherokee can pull but does not like to stop the trailer. I was looking at 98,99 f150's and chevy 1500 standard cabs with short beds. I know this maybe a stretch but would a ranger be possible with some sub frame strengthening? Any ideas? I do 90% residential and the comercials are small enought to be done under 30 minutes.

2. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

If the Cherokee does not want to stop a 3.000 pound trailer I am sure the Ranger will not fair any better.
    Have you looked at putting breaks on one axle of your trailer?
    it would be a cheaper investment then a new truck .

3. second income

second income Member

We have a 98 f150 with a ultramount standard duty. It is a great plowtruck when used on the appropriate type of jobs, so yes it would be a great back up truck. However stopping a three thousand pound trailer will definitely require it to have either surge or electric brakes. We have a single axle utility trailer that will hold one ton. Let's just say without brakes on it our stopping distance is seriously compromised and you can feel the front rotors start to pulsate .

4. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys i was looking into a trailer with brakes this spring to stop better. Any other vehicle options anyone uses?