1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for new plow straight vs v

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by powderski14, Jan 9, 2011.

1. powderski14

powderski14 Junior Member
    from ny

HEy guys I traded in my 150 for a 350 and my sd series 7'6" is too small for the 350. Looking at anywhere from 8-9 ft hd series or xblades or even the v. Do a lot of driveways and help my dad out with some of his big commericial accounts. About half the driveways i do require a bit of backdragging if it helps....let me know what ya thinki

2. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I had a Fisher 7 1/2' straight blade [had it on my old F-150]on my 99' F-250 Super Duty for 10 yrs.I sold it and bought a 8 1/2' XtremeV MS and really like it.I have the backdrag edge on it and works way better than the old plow did backdraging.If I could buy it again though I'd probably get the stainless steel.If I didn't get the V it would of been the X-Blade.

3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Get an X Series or XV 8.5 and you will never look back.......................... the stainless is nice if you can swing it but certainly not an absolute . Becasue of the steeper attack angle of the moldboard it is probably one of the finest backdraggin blades out there; although they are now "all" copying the steeper angle.................If you are plowing crap that is up hill? For the steep stuff; a V is nice. Or if you have to plow drifted stuff; up to 3ft it is the only way to go! And it looks like your over in NY; so you may need those options????? If you are just plowing paved drives; and parking lots you may not need all that??? It really would be determined by your perticular application; as there is lots of guys with V's that dont need one at all. They are great for the initial pass into anything; so you can get yourself in and get set up to windrow it; But if you dont get storms with a foot common. and 15-20" at times; the avg guy plowing 6-8" of snow on level pavement; probably doesnt have alot of need for a V. But that is just M2CW on straight vs V's and we have both..................

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

V-Plow is the way to go!

I purchased a 8'6" Extreme V stainless two years ago and have never second guessed my decision. I plowed with a straight blade for 14 years and used to think it was senseless to upgrade to a v plow considering the extra cost. Two years ago the local Fisher dealer allowed me to use his truck with the extreme v on his parking lot and I was sold on the third pass. The hydraulics were twice as fast, stronger, and the scoop and V positions allow for quicker clean up time. I opted for the stainless because no matter how good you are with cleaning off the days salt and sand the powder coat does not hold up and you are looking at rust within two years. The extreme V is by far the best way to go....and back dragging is as clean as pushing the snow. I do ALOT of backdragging and this plow is by far the best I have used! Buy a V ...you wont be sorry!

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have an SS 8.5 EXV and it is a great blade and very versatile.