1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for my first plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by duckboy391@hotm, Nov 27, 2010.

1. duckboy391@hotm

duckboy391@hotm Junior Member

hi guys im looking for my first plow i have a 02 dmax i don't do to much plowing about 10 acres at my house i was looking at the hts bec i have a 1/2 ton also but i like the midweight or the pro but i don't no that much about them can some one please help me thanks:)
  2. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

You'd be best off with a pro and using your Dmax! IMO...I had a 8 foot ultra mount on my 1500 and it was ok just make sure you put some timbrens under the front. Now this year I stepped up to a 03 GMC Dmax and same plow set up.... can't wait! BTW the HTS is like pop can thin metal the midweight has a lil beefier but the pro would be your best bet with extra support braces and thicker mold board. Hope this helps.
  3. timberjack

timberjack Member

Only 10 acres? lol Where abouts in northern MN are you?

I prefer bigger, especially if it's personal use, as you'll probably care for it more than if racing around to plow other sites. "Time is money" as they say.

My first plow was a 9' Unimount i put on my 89 F350 crewcab. When i replaced it with a 8'6" ultramount on my 95 F250 reg cab 6 years later, i wasn't totally happy with it at all. I didn't think it mattered, but i sure missed that 9'er, and used it for 5 seasons.

I like my newest 9'2" V-plow well enough, but after last season, if i had to do it again, would have gotten another 9' straight blade. The V is sure a good choice, and has it's strengths, i do use the scoop a lot to move snow out of my way and stack. My one gripe is the "V" pivot point (geometry) is that much farther ahead of the truck, that the 9'2" plow is actually narrower than my old 8'6" plow was, when in full angle. I do mostly logging road plowing, and on each curve, i find my truck is running in the snowbanks. I just tore off my driver side step bar from an icy "snow boulder" that rolled back behind the plow, and under the truck

I've been thinking of getting a set of wings to be just that bit wider, at least on the one side i can watch closely. I also plow about 2-3 acres in my yard for parking and such, each event. All in all i spend about 2-3 hours behind the wheel, and just can't see prolonging the job with a smaller plow.

If you can afford it, i'd go with a Pro, or even a Pro-plus, for the long haul and resale value if you care for it. They're made for more abuse than an HTS would be. Maybe stick with the 8' if you're hanging it on the 1/2 ton, and get a set of Western or aftermarket wings for those times you want to speed up production. If you're going to use your Dmax, (and i agree with NorthernPlowman on that), get a Pro-plow, and IMO, a 9'er and plow away.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  4. duckboy391@hotm

im in bigfork mn i am just lookin at a 7 6 and y is a boss cheaper then a western
  5. timberjack

timberjack Member

Cool, never been through there. I sell most of my pulp and logs in MN. Logs to Grand Marais, and pulp to Two Harbors, Duluth, and Cloquet.

Couldn't tell you why they're cheaper. Is that the pricing your local dealers are quoting? Could be just the profit margin each of them are differing on.

I know the local Western Dealer is way higher than the Boss shop. They were both still quite a bit higher than ESI, a site sponsor on the top of the page. I ordered my plow through them, and was very happy. Did the install myself, as i prefer to know how everything is put together, makes for quicker troubleshooting on those dark nights.

Is that 7'6 going on your 1/2 ton? I'd still go bigger, though some shops may not do the install, for fear of liability concerns.
  6. duckboy391@hotm

ha ha im a logger also all r wood goes to a lil mill in deer river ya the prices r from a shop where i get all my parts and just about everything to do with a car no im goin to put it on the d max the 1/2 ton is taking a **** on me again so im trading it off on the plow lol