1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for my first plow truck.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jp2175, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jp2175

jp2175 Junior Member

Hello all. I am looking to start plowing this winter. I currently have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I use as a daily driver. I haven't decided if i should put a plow on this truck (if so, could I get away without upgrading my suspension and what plow would you recommend), or just purchase a used plow truck.

My primary plowing would be driveways, not lots. I do have other cars, so the Jeep could become a dedicated plow. The Cherokee also has new stock springs and Bilstein shocks.

I am also looking right now at a Dodge Ramcharger with a Meyer plow. Are these trucks good for this work (Ramchargers, Broncos, Blazers etc.),

As I am totally new to plowing and this board, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and perhaps amateur questions.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well I will first say stay away from meyer. (many will disagree) But they are one of the most troubled plows out there. You can fold a meyer in half in you hit something hard enough.

If you want a trouble free plow. Look at blizzard, fisher, western, boss.

I would put a plow on the Jeep Cherokee. A blizzard 720LT is one of the best if not the best of the small vehicle plows. You can't beat a jeep on a driveway. Since thats all you plan on doing.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would stick with the Jeep for driveways. They are the best and fastest for that type of plowing(driveways). If you can swing it I would also get the Ram-charger. Another great plow truck for drives and you could work a couple lots with it. It is great having a back-up truck. If anything on your main truck is giving you problems it is nice to have a stand by to jump in rather then losing money and/or accounts by having your back-up guy do it or the job not getting done at all.

As for the Meyer plow. My 1st 3 plows were Meyer. Never gave me problems. I took care of them as I do with what I have now. If it was abused before most times some TLC and new fluid/filter works wonders. As with anything in this business the equipment needs to be cared for. Not only the truck but your plow and salter as well. I have replaced solenoids on all the plows I have had as well as hoses and filters. On a Western I had a few years ago I had a cable break in the middle of the night. Let me tell you there is few things worse then something breaking that is not a easy fix. But I got through it. Replaced the cable that night and went on. Stuff happens. It happens with every plow in time. I have replaced the A-frames on both my Western and Boss I have now. Never did on my Meyer. Does that make Meyer a better plow? No absolutely not. Each person has a preference to what they like. Hell go read the blizzard board to see the problems they have with brand new ones. Some are having problems with short pins and causing the wings to over extend. And that is brand new. One thing I did not like about the Meyer plow's that I had was there was no return shock. When those blades would trip the kick back at times made the truck bounce.

It is user preference with what you choose and as long as you are happy with your choice it really never matters what others think as long as you get the job done and make a profit.

If I was you I would hang a blizzard 760 on the Jeep buy the ram-charger for back-up and get it in good working condition. Get me some insurance for what I was going to do. Then print out some flyer's and start targeting neighborhoods. If you have a decent printer you can do this yourself. Get a back up plan in case of break down. Put together a decent tool box and plow repair box. Get a couple spare upper and lower radiator hoses and antifreeze. Make sure you have a decent strobe light on top and you should be good to go.

Remember if you are 1st starting it will take a while to learn and driveways are good for that. Don't over price yourself on time as you will get quicker as time goes on. If you charge a guy $150 a hour and it takes you a hour to do a 15min job you wont be around long. Stick to drives for a couple of years and then work up to lots when you are more in the groove of things and less likely to hurt your equipment.

Good luck and remember do what makes you comfortable as long as it is profitable.

4. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

If you just want a driveway setup, you can get a CJ with a plow on ebay for hundreds of dollars. I just saw like 3 or 4 on there this morning between $350-$500. Also, the older dodges seem to go cheap on there too. If you are buying, get something with a plow already mounted. It will be much cheaper for you. If someone tells you a truck is worth 2000 more bacause of the plow, laugh at them and leave. Most plow trucks sell cheaper than those without plows because they tend to be more worn out (sometimes, not always). -Phillip

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

welcome to plow site....

i would get a bllizzard 720 LT on theree or a snoway LT22 7'6'' it would be best for that...if its an auto get a tranny cooler

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You will need to beef up the front end and also put about 400-500 LBS in the back when the plow is on. I used airbags on my Cherokee as I found the Timbrens to give the Jeep a much stiffer ride.

I have a Curtis 7' on my 98 Cherokee, its a great plow but definately on the heavier side for the Jeep. It plows fine and handles the plow fine all things considered. You do have to be a little more careful with the Cherokees because they are unibody and the entire vehicle is taking the abuse of the plow, not just the frame like most trucks. As long as you dont go ramming piles, your all set. Cherokees are great for driveways but it is a good idea to plow with the storm in heavy snowfalls.

Blizzard 720 LT is also a perfect plow for the Jeep, i would avoid a Meyer considering that there are plenty of other options avilable.

7. jp2175

jp2175 Junior Member

Thank you to all who replied

I just wanted to thank everyone for their hospitality and input. It was all definately much appreciated and helpful. It looks like I'll be getting the Ramcharger. It has a one year old Meyer plow on it. I will look into putting one of the recommended plows onto the Jeep in the future. The money was right and the Dodge is ready to go (almost). I need to install a module to switch on the Plow lights and install a strobe or light bar. Once it is registered and insured, I'll try to post pics.

8. urhstry

urhstry Junior Member

If you do get that Ramcharger, you may want to visit www.ramchargercentral.com for help with your truck. Saved me a lot of $$$.