1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Minute Mount Tips

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim00, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Jim00

Jim00 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi All,

I'm new to plowing and new to this site. Tried the search thing with no luck on what I'm looking for. I have a '94 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 Ext Cab with brand new 350 engine.

Had a Minute Mount plow installed recently, and haven't quite got the hang of how to put it on and take it of easily. I use a small 2-ton jack to take enough strain off the pins to slide them out when taking the plow off ... and use the jack again when putting the plow back on.

I realize the plow isn't named for how long it takes to put it on but I think it ought to be a little easier than that.

Also ... does it matter what type of grease I use on the quick-connect electrical plug?

Thanks in advance.

--Jim

Maine - The Way Life Should Be!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, Jim. Welcome to PlowSite. A couple questions - Are you pushing the "triangle" down before you disconnect the pins? Then is there plenty of slack in the chain? I use a small crowbar or a piece of 1" board to force the pins out and let the plow adjust height to the jackstand. The slack in the chain will then be enough so I can push up and the pins will snap into place when I hook up.

Do you have the owner manual?

Can't really tell you on the grease.

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Try dielectric grease, available at most auto stores.

Mick is correct when he says to pull the lift cylinder down completly before doing anything. REMOVAL: What I do is take the lift bar and pry the jackstand up using the holes in it. Once the weight is off it I pull the mounting pin out with my free hand. This is difficult for me since I have the V plow and the motor for it is very heavy. Mounting: Drive into the "slots" and then get in front of the headgear and push it up, at the same time I usually just kick the pins with my feet and they "pop" in. Dont worry you'll get the hang of it soon enough (although maybe not this year :eek: ) .

Oh yeah WELCOME TO PS.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2002
  4. Mick

from Maine

JD PLOWER's way is the correct way of unhooking with the lift bar. I'd forgotten as the bolt in mine came out within a month of buying the plow. I got "irritated" and threw the bar. That one is a 7.5'. The 9' I had to shorten the chain so much there wasn't enough cylinder left when I pushed it down, so when I unhook it now I put the blade on a 6"x6" block.

Jim, let me know how it's going. Maybe you and I can get together one of these weekends when we're not busy plowing.:rolleyes:

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Jd is right,use the bar,lift up on it,before you pull out of it,the pins should always come out by hand,you should never need any bars,or wood to pry on them.By taking the load off them,it should come right off.I feel it is a minute mount,doesnt take any longer than that,after you know the right way to do it.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey JD & JDi,
    Can you explain what this "lift bar" is that you are referring to? I'm not getting it. Mine is a '94 if that makes a difference? Thanks.

7. John DiMartino

Thee lit bar is a piece of 1" pipe-4 ft long,with a little 7/16" 1" long tip on it,that the Fisher system comes with.You slide the tip inot the holes in the jack,pull up on the bar ,then pull back on the jack lock,you lift up,to unload the suspension,so when you pullinto the mount next time,the frame will lineu perfect,and the plow will go on in under a minute.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The biggest problem is that the height of the front of the truck should not change. If you unkook the plow with the back of the truck emtpy and then load a sander full the front will be too high for the forks to line up.

Unhook
    Try to get on a flat surface.
    Blade should be straight, not angled.
    Push cylinder down and pull pins
    Disconnect power. Back straight away.

Hookup
    Drive in.
    Release pins and push headgear towards truck
    Hook up electrical

Lining up is the hardest part. Once that is done hook/unhook can be done in well under a minute. I still think that the minute mount is the easiest and most trouble free system. I say that after hearing about problems with the Boss. I have not seen a new Western so I am not sure of that system yet.

9. John DiMartino

CT,your forgetting to drop the jack ,when removing,the height does change.I know s for a fact,the head gr on a minute mount weighs about 250 lbs,so when you pull in with the plow on,you need to lift up the front end to the point of where the truck sits without the plow.This is easy to do,another thing,is if you dont do this the pins wont come out easy,you'll have to pry on them,or psuh on the headdgear to get them free.Use the lift bar to rasie the front end before you pull out he pins,then the pins wil slide right out,and the plow will remount easier.I think the minute mount,on a 88-98 GM os easy to line up,you lean towards the center,line up the hood line with the lift cylinder,and in it goes.The boss on the Dodge is tough,i never seem to get it right,once its lined up,its easier though.

10. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

jim you need to make sure that the plow is in the float position first if it is'nt you can't lower the cylinder down. When you lower the blade all the way it should lite the float lite up on your joystick then leave your truck running and go out and push the triangle (cylinder) down all the way once it is all the way down you should have enough slack in your chains to push up on the head gear as you pull out the pins. Also dont forget to put down your stand first before you do anything. It should'nt take much more than a minute.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

No I am dropping the jack. If I then add two yards of mix into a spreader in the back, before I hook up the plow,the front end of the truck lifts a good amount and it will make the forks on the truck come in above the plow mount.

If I reverse this and unhook the plow with the spreader full and then unload the spreader, then when I try to hook up the forks on the truck will be too low for the plow mount.

This happens less on my F350 but when I had a F250 and overloaded the back with mix it would happen even with Timbrens. Does not have to do with the jack has to do with staying close to the optimal height that the Fisher is set to.

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

CT18

The BOSS SmartHitch 2 hook-up is so fast it's not even funny. Their is no problem with hook-up or unhooking that I've ever herd of. They had a problem with the 2 roll pins but that has nothing to do with the speed of the hookup. I fab a set of dolly wheels that go in the holes where to shoes go on the plow & made a new leg for the jack leg with a dolly wheel attached. Now there is no line up problem. Just pull the truck up anywhere close & slid the plow to the truck mount , plug 2 connectors & flip a switch & your done in 15 sec. :D now that's fast & no pins, bars, hoses chains, very simple.:D Brent

13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

everyones adivce up top is good, so i wont talk about that. but i do have a recommendation for you. i got some plow dollies for $50. you unhook the plow on them and can push them around with your finger. its great if you are hooking up the plow by yourself. just a suggestion. good luck.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If parts are falling off then I would question the quality of the plow. Another thing is how welll will it hook after a few years of abuse on the truck mount? My Fishers are 3 years old and I have stoved the mounts into the ground and roacks when off road Still line right up and can hook up in well under a minute.

I am not questioning the Boss. The question was about Fishers and I was stating the one problem I have had with the Fishers and how I solved it. The mount height must be fairly close to the height when disconnected.

15. Mick

from Maine

CT18fireman is correct. You need to keep in mind what you have in the back when you unhook. The difference between empty and 2 yrds of sand/salt on the back of a 3500 was enough to require the jack.

16. BobH

BobH Junior Member
    from CT

I just found this forum today. It is great! My question is similar to JIM 00. I also have a Fisher Minute Mount RD plow on a '97 Chevy K1500. The assembly comes off of the truck in a minute or so with help of a piece of wood to pry the pins out. This is easy. Attaching the plow is the problem. The plow is always a 1/2 inch higher than the truck mounting plates and I have to lift up on the bumper for the pins to engage. The place where I purchased the plow said the lift bar is useless and they recommended to lift the bumper by hand. It does work but is a lot of effort. I tried the lift bar once and bent the tip. If I use the next higher hole on the jack then the plow is too low. Any thoughts on boring out the holes in the mounting plates slightly larger? I can still attach the plow in 10 minutes but it should be quicker? I am attaching the plow on a level garage floor. Also, MDB Landscaping said he purchased plow dollies for $50. I am in Glastonbury CT also and the cheapest I can find them is $125. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

17. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

An 8' 2x4 is necessary for leverage if you unhook the plow empty, then try to hookup with a load in the back. No two ways about it...

18. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

BOBH 10 minutes is WAAAYYY TO LONG! First off I would say you have the optimal mounting place, a flat garage floor so it should take you less than a minute to mount this plow on the truck. I don't know who your dealer is but they don't know much about these plows! It sounds like your not pushing up enough on the jackstand when removing the plow. Basically as myself and john Dimartino described you need that bar or another device to lift the headgear to releive the tension on it. It sounds like from your description that you must fully depress the plow lift cylinder then use the bar. I would be out of luck if I had to lift the front bumper on my truck (F-350 diesel) :eek: .

19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ct18 not questioning BOSS

You were the one who said the BOSS has problems & you think the minute mount is the easiest & most trouble free system.

As for parts falling off, a hollow pin was the problem & BOSS recalled all new plows with the new SmartHitch2 to have them repaired. I did the repair myself in 10 mins.

Now if your talking about the BOSS-V plow yea they have their problems & that's why I bought the BOSS straight blade. I almost bought the Western V-plow but it had the pins & ect. to hook-up so I went back to the straight blade with no regrets.

As for the easiest to mount the SmartHitch2 is by far the easiest I've see in 35 yrs. of being around plows. No hoses,pins,chains. The truck frame mount is very stout & should last a very long time. :)

As most have said you need a crowbar or 2x4 for the minute mount, wow now that's easy or just use the 4' pipe they give you.

I've seen the Minute Mount & it's a nice mount but easy I don't think so compaired to the BOSS.:)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2002
  20. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't own a Minute Mount, so I can't comment on that. But I can tell you that I do own a Curtis, and with the hydraulic powered jack / stand. I don't need any pry bars / pieces of wood etc. GIve me a break, I'm not saying the mount is bad, but I would not put it in the easiest mount category. Not much easier than pulling up, dropping the blade, putting down the hydraulic jack and pulling out the pins. Done. If it takes you more than thirty seconds, you did it wrong. Put it back on, the same thing in reverse. If you have a load or whatever on your truck, simply pull up close enough to plug in the power supply and use the hydraulics to raise or lower the mount. I used to own a western that I had to pry / leverage etc. it worked, but with all of the technology goinig into building better plows these days, you'd think there would be a better answer than "Here's you 4 ft pry bar to go with that plow you just purchased" (Steps down from soapbox)

Anyway, sorry for getting off the topic.