1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for liquid storage containers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawn Lad, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'm looking for a smaller liquid storage container, like a 1,000 to 2,000 gallon size container to store liquid for treating salt. Never done it before, so I thought I'd stick with a smaller container to get my feet wet before jumping in feet first and getting a 2500 gallon container.

Any thoughts on where to pick one up? I have unsuccessfully navigated the Quality Farm and Fleet website. Any other recommendations for the midwest area? Maybe these things could be shipped, so location isn't as critical.

What about style of container. There are the bladders with metal cages/baskets. Large rectangular ones and short squat round containers. If I'm just leaving it on the ground next to the salt bin, not on a stand of any type, any suggestions for what might be most cost effective?

2. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Did you look into the plastic septic tanks? I don't see any reason they wouldn't do the job.

Everett

3. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Bulk storage considerations

When you look at storing your own liquids here are a couple of things to consider:

1. The cost difference of a larger tank is usually not a great one. Fittings, hoses, valves, etc can be used on any so you might as well get the largest size you anticipate needing. Reselling a tank is usually not going to recoup your initial investment when upgrading.

2. Do you get a discount if buying in bulk? If you only require 1000 gallons but a minimum delivery is 2000 you may pay more because of shipping etc. The cost of holding it may be nil when compared.

3. I would recommend a large polyethylene tank. Several agri-business places offer them. They are very versatile and can be used outdoors with no problems. Check out www.dultmeier.com for some ideas. Plus, your local distributor of liquids may have a good source.

We store around 5000 gallons of bulk liquids and I can give you more ideas if you'd like. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Good luck! :waving:

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to recommend Dultmeier as well, but somebody beat me to it. One thing to keep in mind is that this a heavier than normal liquid and plastic tanks are rated for at least a couple different liquid weights. Another thing to look for is UV stabilized plastic. Containers that are intended for indoor storage may not have the right stuff to stand up to constant sunlight exposure. Unstabilized polyethylene turns brittle and shatters from UV exposure.

I just remembered another place that might have tankage, Tractor Supply Company. Try http://www.mytscstore.com/ and see if they have a store near you. They also have a pretty good assortment of valves and fittings.

5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i'm in the water/sewer biz, i would not recommend a plastic septic tank for liquid storage. they are designed to have fluid inside, and ALSO to have soil supporting the outside. i'm afraid the tank would really deform, or maybe even blow out on you. most farm/fleet stores have liquid storage tanks that farmers use for sprays/fertilizers.

6. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I didn't know they would deform. Learn something new everyday. :)