1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for likes and dislikes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CLService, Aug 27, 2011.

1. CLService

CLService Junior Member

To start off I know everyone has their own opinion, I was looking for some help on some pros and cons of these plows form anyone that owns or have operated any of these plows. I have narrowed my choice down to one of these three.

Snowdogg VX V-Plow-

Boss Power-v XT plow-

Blizzard Power Plow-

I have a F-250 SD that I am planning putting a plow on.

Thanks for the help.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Boss,all other plows should be banned!:)

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a Loaded Question........

You will get the Boss Guys saying Boss is The Best Plow Made.....

Then you will have the Snowdogg guys saying they are the Awesome.....

The Blizzard Guys wont say Much, Because the Know they are the Super....

The answer is....Dealer support for the Plow....What you are using the Plow for and Personal Preference...Try using the Search Button also....:salute:

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

For me my only dislike with all three is, no close dealers to me.

5. CLService

CLService Junior Member

Well I plan on doing residential & commercial. The closes dealer to me is a boss. Their seems to be more boss dealers then anything else. I know boss has steel and poly. How well dose the plow hold up to rust? Dose the paint hold up well? I see snowdogg has stainless steel plows.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have no regrets with about my Boss except maybe I should have gone a little smaller than the 9'2" and gotten wings i could put on when I was in parking lots.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

What are you plowing? What dealer gives the best support? You answer them, I'll have an answer for you.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Snow Dogg cleans better than any of them and has a trip edge. Mounting system is pretty lame. They stack higher than any V plow I've ever used. They back drag better too. They clean a full angled pass vs others.......I assume it's b/c there's absolutely no resistance with the stainless......much less runoff. Very responsive and fast acting. No option to scoop or V with the press of a single button.

Boss does NOT have a trip edge but is much more HD. Spring return is primitive but it works. Mounting is superior to most, aside from pre DD Blizzard. Smart lock cyl's are nice, but not std, nor is a rubber deflector. Very responsive and fast acting. No option to scoop or V with the press of a single button.

Blizzards have the ability to scoop and angle where a V plow does not. They carry more snow and are much more efficient, but they have their place and IMO not designed for tight lots or ones with high curbs. They are pricey to fix if you clip a wing, they are heavier and cutting edges are quite pricey to replace.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I would go Boss. It sound like the Boss Dealer is closest and has the most dealers around you, so you would have many options if anything ever happens. I have owned a Boss for 7 years now and couldn't be happier with them. I have always had a awesome experiences with every Boss dealer I have fad to work with. I will never buy anything other than a Boss!

10. CLService

CLService Junior Member

I was kind of leaning towards a boss plow, the next thing to figure out is poly vs. steel?

11. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

That would depend on what your FAGVW is. My preference is steel, as it provides better weight when plowing for a better scrape.

12. JDiepstra

In most cases the poly plow is heavier because it requires more support braces.

13. JDiepstra

What do u mean the snow dogg cleans better? Gets the pavement cleaner or what?

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes......I don't know how or why but the SD V's scrape clean as a whistle in all positions. It's a sight to be seen.

I'm not bragging on SD by any means. My buddie ran one as a demo when he was selling them. A 9.5 on his 2500HD gasser. It's a perfect match for that truck. Light enough for a 9.5 to put on a 3/4 ton, and it performs great. I used it about 8 times this season when I was short on trucks. I'm used to my big bad plows, but I was quite impressed with it. I couldn't believe how it could take a full 9.5 pass with literally no runoff. Maybe a bit lighter duty, but performance wise they put my MVP's and Boss Vs I've used to shame. Honestly. I suppose I wouldn't rely on one for constant commercial abuse like I would with the bigger names, but it's done anything we've asked of it. It stays on the truck all season too. No way would I want to take it on and off every time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzards scrape better than any other plow I've ever used (haven't used a snowdogg for the record) due to their weight and aggressive attack angle. The downside to that weight and aggressive angle is they go through edges faster (many of us add carbide or urethane to get more life out of them). I'm a fan of the pre-dd blizzards, haven't run one of the new ones, but haven't heard much praise from those who have.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I run Blizzards primarily but was more so comparing v's. Blizzards clean great but not like the SD and especially when wing edges start wearing. We have one new LP and its the same as far as that's concerned. The boards and wings haven't changed. By no means does the SD plow compare generally, but it cleans comparably and doesn't eat up edges. 2 years of commercial plowing and the original set looks like new.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  17. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We run boss plows, there great, reliable, work well. We like them alot.

We have a sub who runns a blizzard 8-10 power plow. He swears by it, and hasn't really had any issue's with it. Tho it is a heavy sonofabitch. I actually think its FASTER than a V for lots of stuff. But it doesn't lift very high.

We don't have any experience with the snow doggs, tho im told buyer support is good.
    It comes down to what you like and your dealer support.

Good luck

18. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever dealer is close and offers good service. I would go with a steel plow.

19. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

i went with the boss 8.2vxt and this thing is amazing. got the poly one. great plow i will never buy anything other than a boss the dealer support is great and the plow is outstanding! i think the poly is great no rust stays inside all year when not used but worse case you just pop the skin off and put a new one on if there is any damage. but think this thing is bullet proof!

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Here's my opinion: Never used a Snowdogg, never seen one used and there is a local dealer so that says something. BOSS plows are good plows but I'm not a fan of the springs stretching and breaking at the most inconvenient time and no trip edge in any direction. I have seen some really bad impacts. As far as the Blizzards, many moving parts to go wrong, now DD is using a much thinner steel for everything on those plows. If it were me and those were the only three choices, hands down a BOSS plus it looks cool. But thats why we run Fisher's,lol