1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For insurance for municipal plowing in Pa???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Plowtruckaddict, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Plowtruckaddict

Plowtruckaddict Junior Member

Does anyone in Pa know of any insurance company the covers you for municipal road plowing? I'm hitting a dead end everywhere I turn. I got a verbal quote from two companies saying $10,000 a year. Is this normal for GL coverage??? Any help guys???

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Doing roads can be tough insurance wise. How many trucks, what size trucks? There is a guy here, Ben's insurance. PM him, seems to know the answers.

3. Plowtruckaddict

I have two trucks looking to get a 3rd. One F550 and the other is a F650. I am looking to get a Ford L9000.

4. Randall Ave

Talk to other people doing the same work, see what they pay. I don't think your going to get it much cheaper. We're you awarded a contract?

5. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Getting a GL policy to cover public roads is very tough. Here's why. If you plow a road and there is a minor/major car accident and the snow/ice had anything to do with the accident, guess who is being pulled into that lawsuit....the guy who plowed (&/or salted) it. A huge exposure to a claim and the insurance co that provides the insurance has to charge for it. Perhaps the municipality will pick up the liability exposure as part of your contract with them? Most of our clients do it this way. If they will, make sure that it's clearly spelled out in your contract. Good luck. Ben/Insurance

6. Plowtruckaddict

Thanks so much for this advise. I'll give the municipality a call. Thank you so much for your time.

7. Randall Ave

When I was doing roads for the town, they were an additional insured on my policy. Most towns do not want to accept any liability. But remember, I'm in Jersey. I also had to have workmans comp on everyone.