1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for input for NSP issue we all have.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Laszlo Almasi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Ok, I've been considering working up a marketing letter to send out to past and/or new customers that have switched over to an NSP, or may have been contacted by one and may be considering going with one.

That being said, I think we can come up with a basic letter that perhaps all of us here can use in our own marketing in our respective locations. Nothing to lengthy or elaborate but something that a potential customer will take the time to read and understand the potential pitfalls of contracting with an NSP versus going with the local guy that is most likely going to be doing the work anyway.

NSPs are a problem we all will have to deal with eventually if we aren't already, and If we do not make and take a united stand against them it will only get worse.

So, let's see what realistic & constructive points we can all come up with to include in this marketing letter. Not looking for any "positive" points or experiences some of you may have had. this thread is intended as a point for a "counter NSP" letter to get our customers back into our portfolios.

This is something we all can use. Don't hijack this thread please.
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The problem is the decision to go with a nsp is made way higher up than the store level.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The only thing I can say is that it might be a good idea if it's a locally owned business that is only in a small area.

When working for a NSP, we occasionally have to talk to the store managers of large chains. What we've found out is that they have no say in any of the contracting work. They have to go along with the cooperate office and what they decide. The only time the manager would have a say is if the cooperation puts the control back to the individual store managers.

So, it might be a waste of time. The only thing I would personally do is write up a letter stating that if there is ever a change in the structure of contracting that you would be more than willing to write up a local bid for them and leave it at that. Just basically keeping your name out there.

4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Yeah, I know about those issues. But as lot of times, not all however, the localmanagers do have some input as to the quality of work that was done. I think that as the word filters back up to the POS bean counters, then they may look at things a tad differently.

I think a lot of businesses are actually starting to value a better job and appreciate the level of professionalism they can receive that they will never get from someone subbing for an NSP even though it may cost a little bit more. I truly think that the savings to a lot of these businesses is less than we may realize over the long term. The only ones really making profit is the NSP and we have to make a united stand. Personally, I think that if everyone stopped subbing for NSPs then that'd be the best way to get the profits back into the hands of the ones that actually do the work.

It's almost like sending all of our manufacturing jobs overseas to China if you kinda think about it. All we do here is play the middle man and sell Chinese products. Being the sub all we are doing is making a "little bit" of profit and merely getting by when we could be doing much better and providing a better and stronger foundation for our families and local economies rather than some ISP that is halfway across the country.