1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for info

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by pmlawn, Dec 29, 2004.

1. pmlawn

pmlawn Junior Member

This is a great new site and just what we needed as we are looking at expanding into parking lot maintenance.
    So back to the question. Looking for info , I do not know anything about lot sweeping so we are just starting to gather info. What do you all know and what is involved in running a profitable business? We are not going to do anything in 05 but been toying with 06 start. Also not sure if starting from scratch or buying a company already in play. At this time we do lawn care/maintenance- building maintenance. Not sure if this would be a stand alone business or if we would incorperate in what we have now. Any info that you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. cc2004

cc2004 Member

I would like to know to.
    How exspensive is start up.
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

All depends on what you want to do and how much. you could start with a broom and shovel and work up from there. I started with a openface broom for my bobcat @ $5000 but you also need to be able to remove the dirt. that uasualy requires a truck of a budy with one. some used sweepers out there gor anyware from $500 (which require a lot of work to get them in shape) to $100,000.00
    Do a lot of homework, find out if there is a need first then see what the compitition is doing. Priceing in your area may be to low to make a living at it.
  4. pmlawn

pmlawn Junior Member

Dwan -- Thanks for the info. Yes we are doing a lot of study on the issue. I live in a growing area just North of Charlotte, NC and a lot of new shopping centers are opening up. The lots are being cleaned by companies coming from far away-30 miles+- and I thought that a local co. might have a chance
    But I have not worked all the money figures out yet and that is why this can be a helpful site. Also maybe 30 miles is not far in this business.
    At this time we are putting the plan together so again thanks for your help.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

30 miles at night with little traffic is only 30 minutes each way. Fore enough work that is nothing. You will put over 100 miles a night on a sweeper after you get started.