1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for info on a plow for my truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by UTURN1, Nov 17, 2008.

1. UTURN1

UTURN1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

New to the forum here. I am looking for some education on plows. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money off plowing. I'm mainly doing this to provide additional services to my existing customers and for my friends and family...we don't typically get a ton of snow anyways. I've got my insurance stuff taken care of and I'm looking for some info on plows and to have a few questions answered.

AREA: Columbus, Ohio
    TRUCK: 05' Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab w/5.7 ltr v8
    USAGE: residential driveways (mostly) and (some) small business parking lots.

1. What would be a good reasonable set up for my truck based on usage?
    2. Is salting required after plowing? Meaning, is there a liability issue with plowing only?
    3. What are some things I need to know about before and after plow season maintenance on my truck?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I recommend a Sno-Way with Down pressure. Great for drives. Only places I salt are commercial and only if the customer wants it. Basic maintenence before and after snow flies.
    Welcome to te site and happy reading.
    Try the "search" feature for to get more answers too.

3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you plan on doing much, a small V would work well for you. As far as salting is concerned, it is customer preference. All plows require basic maintence every year, something just about anyone can handle.

JMO

Welcome :salute:

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I agree that a snoway would be a good choice. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new plow, buy a used one. They're pretty easy to come by, especially on this site. If you do wat to start sanding or salting, you can get small speaders that mount on the tail gate or trailer hitch of your truck.
    GOOD LUCK :waving:

5. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I too have a 05 dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab and just ordered a snow dogg 7.5 plow for my truck i went to our local dealer and he is a western plow dealer. he just picked up the snow dogg line. he has been selling weastern for years and never wanted to carry another line but just took this new one on this year. ill be his second snow dogg sold. they are really nice plows. Im thinking of doing the same amount of work with my truck as you talked about doing with your (family friends etc.) I live in Sandusky and i beleive we get about the same amount or more snow up- here then you do in columbus check out the snow dogg plows for your truck