1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Ideas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DAZ982500, Apr 4, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Hello To All! Since I Have Discovered This Site I Have Learned Alot.as We All Know We Learn From Experience As We Have Grown Into A Business.the Question I Have Since This Was My First Year Plowing I Was Only Able To Get Residential Accounts, And Some Of Theses Were Either To Difficult To Plow To Narrow To Access Or Rental Properties With College Students That Would Nt Move Cars Or Gravel. I Would Like To Find Out What A Better Plan Of Attack May Be For 2005 Season When I Look For New Business. Incidentaly I Ran Ad In Local Paper Some Were Accounts From Lawn Cutting. I Live Upsate Ny Area.looking For Ideas.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This is my third year in the snow business, my first year was all word of mouth. This past year I kept all of my customer's and added 4 new one's. Two of the new one's were new business that had moved to my local area, so look for business's that move into your area.
    One was a referral and the other one was a lady who owns a store across from my Credit Union, I was sitting at the ATM machine two winter's ago and she was out there shoveling the approach by hand. her Plow guy didn't come back. I watch her breaking her back trying to move that hard pack snow.
    I drove across the busy street and turned my light's on beeped my horn and cleared the approach for her, took all of about 3 minute's. Stopped and gave her my card, told her I would like to bid her lot for next winter.
    Well this fall she called me and I bid it, she call's me back and say's I'm alot higher than the guy last year. I told her yes but you will never need a shovel if I plow for you, you will not wonder when am I going to get there and plow. Well she signed on with me for more money but she is happy with my work. All I do is commercial, but I DO WHAT I SAY I'M GOING TO DO FOR THE PRICE I QUOTE WHEN I SAY I'M GOING TO DO IT.
    In other word's take care of your customer's and you will get plenty of work, don't try to grow to fast. Limit the number of job's that you take and take care of them. I hear it all the time, you never know when my plow guy will show up. The customer want's their lot clear when they go to open in the AM.
    I have some accounts that need to be plowed by 7am one that needs to be done by 8 am. One that opens at 9am and one at 10 am. This way you do not need to be every where at one time. The other thing I learned is to keep your route in a small area, mine is in a 10 mile straight line this year. Last year I was all over the place. That make's it hard with traffic in the am if you have to drive alot to get to your customer's.

Goos Luck Mike