1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for hydraulic antifreeze.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 94halftonchevy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 94halftonchevy

94halftonchevy Junior Member
    from se pa

Does anyone know of an additive that I can add to my hydraulic fluid that will help keep it from freezing to help burn off the water? I have a western unimount that has some age on it that I'm trying to nurse thru the season. Has western fluid in it but I'm looking to help it along. Any info would be great.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Just change the fluid.....

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sea Foam.................

But I'd change the fluid first.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why sea~foam? because it contains IPA?

Just add some isopropyl alcohol ie ipa.

but I'd change the flui if it was mine.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

whenever i change my fluid i always add one cap full of "HEET".

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

which grade of western Red or he blue The blue is better for cold temps

Them old pumps get water in from ram I use to take a Shock boot and install it on the lift ram stop the water

You can buy a 12v heater that you screw in the fill plug and it will never freeze up

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I just change my fluid... I never added anything other then atf in my older pumps

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

isopropyl alcohol type dry gas...just a cap or two

9. rcttree

rcttree Junior Member

Well i have had the same issue on 7'6 western several years back and yes i changed the fluid and still had issues.
    Take the motor off and replace the filter on the pump. That has worked for me on that one as well as i just replaced the filter today on a 9'6 pro western.
    The other cheap repair is to replace the seals on the ram good luck.

10. 94halftonchevy

94halftonchevy Junior Member
    from se pa

Thanks for the ideas guys, the fluid has been changed. Recently broke a angle ram. I used to run aft because it's readily available but the shop that replaced it flushed everything out and put the western fluid in it. The freeze up happened with the western fluid. in the future I'll try some of your ideas. Thanks.