1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for help with my 96 f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BJH Snow, Nov 23, 2014.

1. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Its been a while since I've been on this site but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 96 ford f250, v8 7.5 gas. Since last year I've been having issues getting the truck started.

When I try to start the truck with the key in the ignition I get nothing. If I go outside and use a screwdriver I can start it with the solonoid with the key turned into the on position. When I jump the solonoid their is a ground wire that goes from the motor to the fire wall that gets real hot when I do this. Its burned through once and I had to replace it.

Is this a neutral safety switch issue? Or is their some other relay or switch that is bad?

Any input would be great. This truck is turning into my backup as I just picked up a 1999 f350 diesel.

Thanks Bryan
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have you tried installing a new solenoid? Assuming it is an auto, have tried starting in neutral instead of park? How are you jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver, thought most fords had the larger terminals on opposite sides.
  3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Yes, I replaced the solenoid a few weeks ago, yes I have also tried starting it in neutral and I get the same result (nothing). The solonoid I'm jumping on my passenger side fender wall can easily be jumped the posts are only 2 inches apart.
  4. psychob0b1977

psychob0b1977 Junior Member
    from NA

I had the same thing happen to my 97 f250HD 5.8, the problem wasnt the solenoid or the neutral safety, it was the little wire that controls the solenoid. the terminal had rusted a bit and wasnt making contact. a quick cleaning and i was back in business. i havent had a problem in a few months since i figued out the problem.

based on your description, i'd bet money that you have the same problem.
  5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

check your ignition switch as well ( make sure the ignition switch is sending voltage to the solenoid to activate it ) and don't be surprised if you got a bad solenoid regardless of it being new.
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the ground wire from block to cab is burning up when trying to start the truck, you have issues.
    first thing to do is see if you have voltage at the small wire to the solenoid when turning the key. if you do, it is a solenoid problem, if not, it is an electrical problem and you are going to have to start tracing wires to find it.