1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for help with a fisher 3 plug

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nogoodram, Aug 9, 2012.

1. nogoodram

nogoodram Member
    from RI

hey guys, i'm turning to the experts before i waste alot of my time... heres the scenario

i have a mm1 with the 3 plug insta-act pump. i hooked it to my truck last week to move it across the yard and it worked fine. yesterday i hooked it back up and the motor doesn't work. when you press up/left/right the solenoid/valves mounted on the pump will give you a single "click" but the motor doesn't do anything. no noise at all and no action from the motor.

then i hooked a different blade up to my truck and it worked fine - so i dont think its the truck side wiring.

with the plow disconected i checked the battery cable between the truck connection and the pump and they show "0" resistance. so it seems like that connection is good and the motor should be getting power. i haven't had the chance to have someone press the joy stick while i checked the leads for voltage.

where should i begin to diag this problem? anyone have this happen to them before?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you could try jumping across the two big posts on the solenoid (with the plow hooked up). this eliminates the solenoid, and the control telling the solenoid to close, and should make the motor spin. If the motor still doesn't turn then you can take jumper cable straight from the battery out to the hot post on the motor. that eliminates all the battery cables and connections too. If it still doesn't spin the problem is the motor itself.

3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Sounds like the solenoid is good if you were able to get functions from a different plow, go straight to nearlybirds jumper cable test and see if the motor runs with direct power from the battery.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

oops! yep, forgot he said he already eliminated any problems on the truck side. silly me.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking you need to ck the connections at the pump. Maybe gnd or pwr. I think the "click" your hearing is the underhood solenoid. You don't need help in cking the functions just rubber band the joystick. But disconnect the gnd at the plow

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

tap on the motor on the plow pump I bet it is stuck!

7. nogoodram

nogoodram Member
    from RI

thanks for the tip. the clicking is definately the solenoids/hydraulic valves on the pump assembly. you can hear them and if you place your hand on the pump assembly you can feel the vibration as the valves shift. after checking things out with everyones help i think the motor is bad. or a bad connection inside it - i'm just going to replace it. i'll prob do that next week. i'll report back and let you guys know how it goes.

thanks!

8. nogoodram

nogoodram Member
    from RI

awesome idea lol i didn't even think of that

9. dieselss

Not a prob.

10. nogoodram

nogoodram Member
    from RI

ok im planning to swap the motor tomorrow. any advice on taking it off. looks like have to pull the two 10mil bolts from the top (i assume they pass through to the bottom) and then what?? do i have to remove the torx screws from the side? basically. which bolts should i take out and which should i leave alone? thanks in advance!

11. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Disconnect power and ground cables, then remove the two long bolts that go from the top of the motor that pass through the motor and thread into the valve block being careful not to snap one of the bolts. If everything comes apart easily it's a very simple procedure. When you remove the old motor let us know if there is an excessive amount of junk built up in there.

12. dieselss

Yea watch that the bolts don't break. Work the bolts back and forth to make sure they are not seized

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Never seen one that was not overloaded with junk yet :mechanic:

14. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

And for $8.00 more make sure u chg the bearing while ur in there