1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for help/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Canuck9c1, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Canuck9c1

Canuck9c1 Junior Member

I recently purchased an old plow-truck to clear my own property and maybe some close neighbours driveways as I live out in the country. Besides, I've always been keen to try plowing and live smack dab in the middle of the snow-belt.
    Anyway, I brought Home an old '89 Dodge W250 4 X 4 with a CTD. The truck has a '92 front fascia and a very decent looking Western 7'6'' "Unimount" Pro plow set-up.
    The diesel fires up instantly, the blade lifts and angles left/right effortlessly and the front hubs lock/unlock with ease. All I could see (and hear) was that the truck needed some exhaust work and was missing the LH plow headlamp assembly. For what I knew I could buy the truck for and that it was going to just be a "yard" truck,,,,,,,,,,,I drove it Home.
    Well, now I'm learning that I should have been a little more observant.
    The truckside "mount" is pretty much homemade and has broken welds. I found this out while removing the blade at the exhaust shop (to be able to drive up on the lift)
    After the exhaust work was done, I ordered a new Western headlamp kit # 61540-1 from Snowplow Parts Warehouse. Now I have a 9 pin headlamp harness and the truckside harness is a butchered up 12 pin piece??!! I carefully started digging and unravelling all the plow related wiring and found that most of it was'nt even wired up to begin with.
    All that really works is the cab control to raise or angle the blade. No lights on the truck work either.
    Do I now look for a 9 pin Unimount truckside harness to fit this '89 Dodge?? and the proper truckside mount?? The plow motor/pump is hardwired also. I like the option to quickly just unplug everything so this can't be correct either??
    Obviously, I'm not in the same league as most of you here but I'd really appreciate some of your help in this matter. Part #'s?? Used parts?? New parts?? Suggestions???
    Supposed to start snowing tomorrow :waving:
  2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If this is something you plan on keeping a while to plow with and want it to be correct , I would get the correct harness's for the truck side and do it right .

Since you already have a 61540-1 set of 9 pin lights I would search for a good 9 pin control harness , P/N 61437 and a headlight harness for the type of headlights you have , P/N 61731 for the 2B/2D Single sealed beam headlights or a P/N 61566 if it has quad sealed beam headlights .

You will also need a set of truck side battery wires P/N 61169 and a set of plow side battery wires P/N 21294 to make it totally romovable as it was intended .

I'm sure someone here will double check my part #'s as there are many smarter than me here .

Hope this helps

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That is a true comment Nasty-Z........

No matter what you say, you can be wrong....No matter how hard you try to help, your wrong..
  4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

But I don't think i'm wrong ..................This time :D

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Never said you were...Today, Im finding out there is a lot of different opinions........