1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for help plowing roads

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by skinut2234, Jan 10, 2011.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

OK- I'm done with driveways-I have the opportunity to plow small roads/neighborhoods. Is there any literature (diagrams etc) that can show me techniques for roads? For the most part I know to start in center and start clearing straight roads that way etc.... What do I do when I come to "T" intersections?- 4 way intersections? and cul-de-sacs? I've looked all over the internet and can't find any information on techinques

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

As for straightaways, we go down twice for an average small snow... right-center, then back the other way left-center (to not leave a strip unclean down the middle) just to open it up. If it's a large storm, sometimes they have us come back and clean up the 2-3' edges.

I do a lot of cul de sacs... and they are a pain. I have my "spots" (open areas that are not a mailbox or a driveway entrance) where I push towards. The easiest solution is if there is a nice open lawn/curb at the top of the court... I usually just do a far right side and far left side pass to that area and then peel the center, all meeting up at the top.

A couple I could push "out" but that gets hard with the length of my truck.

"t" intersections- just do 3 or 4 mini pushes (in a "fan" shape") to open up where the two streets meet. Then turn into the sidestreet and go. On the way back out of that sidestreet, if the snow is heavy, lift up before turning or crossing the intersection and leave the pile at the corner. Readjust and push it to the side with the rest of the pile you made with your earlier "fan" pushes.

3. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Thanks Earth!-- one question on the Cul de sacs... Easier to start out on the sides of the circle first-? working inward? I thought starting from center and working out was better way but now I'm rethinking based on your post

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I haven't found that one way is better than the other...all depends on the layout of where the best place to push the snow is. Generally your first push in is bringing snow from the street before the cul d sac so you should push towards your stacking area. Then widen it however you choose, its just like a driveway that widens by the house, on a larger scale.

5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

cul-de-sacs are the biggest pain. No matter what way you go, inside to out or outside in, your going to get snow falling off your blade. Especially if you have a longer truck. What I usually do is start on the right side and push all the snow back. Then I swing over to the left and push all the snow back. For the back I angle the blade towards the outside and push the snow towards the outside. then I make a pass or two around the outside angling the blade out. Then I make one pass around the inside of the circle with the blade angled in, and then I make a few passes in a circle with the blade angled out to clean it up.

Like earth said if theres a place to push the snow I will push it there but a lot of them i just roll off the towards the outside. In bigger snows since I have a V i will clean up in front of everyones drive way too. Billing it hourly so it doesnt matter.

The main roads are self explanitory. If you have a V its really nice in bigger snows. Put it it the Inverted V (not scoop) and go down the middle it evenly distributes the snow to each side. Then just angle the blade to the right and make a pass out and back in.

6. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

turn arounds and cul-de-sacs are the worst... not only are they a pain in plowing roads, but if you have a driveway that has a shape that way, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

my city just runs around with a backhoe or wheel loader cleaning up culdesacs

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

that was my other suggestion. If you have a larger piece of equipment (SS, Wheel Loader, Backhoe) that you can easily get to the site, bring that and plow those cul-de-sacs Much easier, you can just push everything right into the middle, or the back if theres nothing there.