1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for first plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 05ram, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 05ram

05ram Member

I am looking for my first plow. I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 QC. I am looking at the western pro plow @ 682# any one ever put this on a 1500? I will be doing mostly residential. I will also be helping other trucks doing a few large commercial lots. Will this be OK or will I have to get the midweight @ 540#? BY the way new plowsite member. First post!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

plows on these trucks suck there front ends are crap and really light you can get away with it with a 2-3 inch lever kit and timbers and about 500-600lbs in the bed and it will be alright but still a very weak truck to plow alot with

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That's not true at all. Get the heavier one.

4. 05ram

05ram Member

There is only a 142 pound difference between the two plows. I was thinking if I got the pro plow and I started plowing a lot more I could keep the plow and upgrade the truck later, once I had more cash. Wish I could have a seperate plow rig, but I have no room to keep it. Just have to remember to NOT drive it like I stole it!

5. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Western will answer your question. If quick match says it will take it then it probably will. Good luck and welcome to the site!!!

6. plowguy43

Get the heavier one it'll be better in the long run. I know of guys putting 8' plows on 1500's.

7. mskutnik

mskutnik Junior Member

i'am a dodge guy. get the heavier plow with timbrens & make money

8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Agreed! That truck can easy handle a bigger plow. Put a set of Timbrens on it and your ready.

9. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

does any one that is answering have a 2002-2006 1500?

cause it is true there front ends are junk

and ya i have seen people put huge plows on little stuff and it dont last long cause they shouldnt be on there there front ends will be junk and needing alot of work after a couple years of light plowing or a year if full time plowing and leave it on all winter

trust me i know dodge and i know you can get by with it but do you want the truck to last or not if your gonna be running the plow on the truck alot id get the lighter one

10. plowguy43

Yes 2002 Ram 1500 QCSB w/4.7. They go through tie rod ends and had steering rack issues with leaking. Steering rack issues have been fixed by chrysler and the tie rods are simple- just get aftermarket. 79K miles on the dakota, had 120k on the ram when traded.
    My dakota has the same front end (axle-205/8") but is lighter duty. Been plowing for 3 years with it and only replaced ball joints and shocks.

11. mjsmith70

mjsmith70 Junior Member

I put the western hts on my 2008 ram 1500. No suspension add ons and the truck doesnt drop at all when the plow is raised. its handled it very well