1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for feedback from XBlade owners.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MarksTLC, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Can you tell me if the Xblade style is the best thing since sliced bread, or just another snowplow.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 9 foot x blade on a f250 and i love it back drags awsome and scrapes nice good buy a little pricey

3. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Thanks for the response. Sales says its the best on the market. Just trying to nail down what is true and what is hype.

Thanks again.

4. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Oh, it surely is the best thing since sliced bread....and the Xtreme Vee made it even better!!
    James

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I love mine, gets down to pavment very well. As others say as well, it does back drag excellent.

Looks as good as the day I bought it.

6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Is there any difference in maint. dealing with stainless?

7. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

X Blade

I Love My 8 1/2 X Blade Best Plow In The World I Think Fisher Does A Good Job They Work Well And Look Good.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It seems I got the crappy back dragging edition. My Extreme V does ok but with 2-4" of snow it back draggs ok for a few feet then it lifts and draggs just like any other blade. I had issues with the cutting edge, which got resolved after raising a huge stink, the lower pin that connects the whole plow to the truck (pass. side) likes to work its way out, even after the dealer said he replaced it. Other than that its ok, its very quick and the bottom trip is nice vs. a full trip. The only thing I still dont like is, that it rattles like hell driving down the road. We cut up 3/8 fuel line and wedged it in a few places along the blade and that seemed to fix it for awhile but its time for more wedges. A bit pricy though.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It seems I got the crappy back dragging edition. My Extreme V does ok but with 2-4" of snow it back draggs ok for a few feet then it lifts and draggs just like any other blade. I had issues with the cutting edge, which got resolved after raising a huge stink, the lower pin that connects the whole plow to the truck (pass. side) likes to work its way out, even after the dealer said he replaced it. Other than that its ok, its very quick and the bottom trip is nice vs. a full trip. The only thing I still dont like is, that it rattles like hell driving down the road. We cut up 3/8 fuel line and wedged it in a few places along the blade and that seemed to fix it for awhile but its time for more wedges. A bit pricy though. If I could do it all over again I would have just stuck with our original plan....A Boss poly V blade.

10. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

I have had the opportunity to use the X blade when it first came out as a limited production unit.The plow is set at a taller angle and scrapes extremely well, when back dragging you can pull more snow farther than with a standard rd or hd fisher. I recommend the reversible gutting edge along with the curb wear shoes for supreme extended use. This blade is available in powered coated steel or Stainless Steel, both blades use the same frame work. As far as maintenance you can remove the moldboard and clean, touch up paint the frame work so to ward off any rust after the season, naturally change the hyd fluid yeah year and this plow will give you years of service. The new extreme v also works very well, this year I have used one with out any problems, the speed of the new V along with the double acting hyd cylinders and the back drag edge make it the best back dragging V plow on the market, and because it is a base angle trip design it will actually trip in all positions unlike a V plow that is a full blade trip that will only trip in strait blade mode.

11. White Knight

White Knight Member

Hey all,
    I'm a bit new to snowplowing, have a ss X-blade a bit noisy but works well. Just curious about the trip design. What happens when both edges trip at the same time? Looks to me like they will make contact any thaughts?

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

So you have extreme V, right? Personally I think of X-blade as the strait blade design, not a V blade.

The trip edges have center reliefs, so each can trip individually or both together without interfering with each other.

13. White Knight

White Knight Member

Xtream -V is correct, Thanks for the input I would much rather get it this way as opposed to finding out the hard way.

14. LON

LON Senior Member

The customers who have a X-blade like them alot.
    Fisher is now making it available in a POLY face and doing away with the yellow powder-coated face.

15. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

How do the trip edge work? How do the springs hold up, do they have to be adjusted? (i am asking about the straight x blade no the v)

16. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I am constantly putting mine to use. I seem to have a magnetic attraction to manhole covers and parking curbs. Those springs are heavy duty, trust me. Wakes you up when it snaps back into position too. :eek:

17. Quality SR

That is good to know i am thinking about getting a x blade for that reason. looking to get newer truck that i dont want to beat up you know. That seems like a good feature. is it true that you dont loose the snow that you are pushing.?

18. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I would say it depends on how hard you hit whatever it is that breaks the blade. The plow usually jumps up a bit. I'd rather have to hit that spot again, than have damage done to the truck or the plow.

19. Quality SR

Thanks for the input bernie. What do they go for i am looking at the 8' SS xblade. Theres a guy on EBAY selling one for 1,900 in MA

20. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a 9' SS X-blade on my 06 F-350 and really like it. This is my second X-blade (previous one was an 8' model) and I haven't experienced any problems with either of them. As others have said, the X-blades scrape very well and are built rock-solid. The only downside to them is that they tend to burn up cutting edges, but this also depends on what type (i.e. residential or commercial) of plowing your doing. The only blade that I've seen scrape as good as, or better than, the X-blades are the Western ProPlus Contractor Grade plows. A guy I plow with just put a new Western on his '06 F-350 and it scrapes really nice- nicer than my X-blade. However, when the snow gets really heavy or deep, his Western tends to fold-over (i.e. trip), while mine continues to push the bulk snow, even if my trip edge trips. As for the Fisher trip edge, on the X-blades it really isn't all that harsh or hard on the plow and/or truck. Sure, when the trip edge returns to the "at rest position" after clearing an obstacle, it makes a decent "bang" and the blade my "jump" slightly, but it's not that bad. In fact, because the X-blades have a greater cutting edge angle of attack, it actually trips easier than the original Fisher "yellow" blades, which tends to be easier on the truck. The only things I'm not thrilled with when it comes to Fishers are the slow hydraulics and the Minute Mount 2 set-up. Yes, the Minute Mount 2 set-up is easy to mount and dismount, however when the blade is off the truck, the headgear is a little "tipsy" and can easily fall down/over if someone/something knocks into it.

Ryan