1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for estimated time to plow.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by unior, Oct 7, 2016.

1. unior

unior Member

I don't have any experience with large parking lots. I'm looking for a time estimate to plow a 2.5 ish acre lot with a 7.5' blade on pickup. Not including salting or sidewalks. Thanks.

2. unior

unior Member

Forgot to mention 2" trigger.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No idea.

Defcon 5 likes this.
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I always estimate an hour per acre. I usually get it done quicker than that, but it's a good starting point. You've got a smaller, straight blade, so it could take you an hour.

FredG likes this.
  5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

7.5 Blade...No experience....3 hours..

ktfbgb and LapeerLandscape like this.
  6. Defcon 5

Ain't that the truth....:waving:...:drinkup:

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't know, it could be a gravel lot with railroad tracks bisecting it.
    It could be a up hill push.

------
    What to charge.
    What does it cost you to operate your truck IE, comershail INS, wear and tear, paying for said truck and plow, back up plow maintance, the plow, for a hr + profit ?

We can give a few diffrent #' depending on what # you choose you could be over bidding it, underbidding it (loosing $) or be close.

Go liget and don't be a lowballer.

Now that you're stepping into plowing lots, file for a business Lic like a LLC, your liabelity exposure goes up also plowing lots

Plowing lots without The proper INS is a :terribletowel: move.

Now,You can come back and say ,your ligetamaget but a ligetamaget business would know what to charge.

Hey, my manners, welcome to PlowSite, we're here to help.

Not to be a bigger @s$ than I am,

You will need 6-10 +, lots this size, 2" trigger, with salt to turn a profit you could posibely live on if nothing breaks.
    Jmo

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    FredG and ktfbgb like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

1-4 hours.........it all depends.

9. unior

unior Member

Lot is flat. So is $200 too cheap? What about 6"? Pricing in my area is probably lower than some areas.

10. unior

unior Member

How much salt would it take to salt that sized lot "lightly." Thanks again.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What is the general location, rates vary too mulch to answer.

Location plays in to how mulch salt is needed, are ewe using bagged or bulk? Do you have a spreader?

12. JustJeff

I can see where this thread is headed already. SnoFarmer gave you some good advice, and you'd do well to heed it. If you don't have insurance you shouldn't even have a plow on your truck, unless it's in your own driveway. Also, using my numbers, which work for me (1 acre per hour) you'd be there for 2.5 hours. So you're 200.00 per push works out to be 80.00 per hour. That's ridiculously low as a contractor. You also don't know how much salt will be used on that same lot. We average 800-1,000 lbs. per acre. So, you'd be at 1 ton to 2,500 lbs. of salt for that lot. It really sounds like you might be in over your head here though.

13. Defcon 5

What happend to the "Harley"???...Did it break down??

14. JustJeff

No. Just sold them both this year. Taking a break from riding for awhile while my back heals. I'll probably get another one in a year or so. Besides, mine were 88 and 96 cubes, and I like the new 107's that just came out, GPS built into the radio screen and a few other nice, new features. So, for now it's "just me"!

ktfbgb and Sawboy like this.
  15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

$50 and a case of Schlitz. Should take about 20 minutes if you have a half ton with the 7.5'

ktfbgb likes this.
  16. cjames808

cjames808 Member

We have a 4 acre property with ab 2.75 of plowing. Small truck terminal business with trailer parking.

Has:
    Gravel and concrete-BOOM
    Railroad track sections SUCK
    Lumps Bumps and Holes-they fill in or smooth out

$375 2-4" 6-8" Double
    Salt on concrete approaches and entries $100

Takes about 2.5-3 hours total with 8' Straigh K2500, cleaning up near trailers takes time.

It knocked several bolts loose last year on my plow.

We got it again this year!

unior likes this.
  17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Get an 8 1/2, put a set of wings on it so you can be efficient. With what you have, three hours.

18. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I want to upgrade too! The 107 is going to be a beast. Throw a heavy breather, pipes, and a power commander and I would be set!

19. unior

unior Member

I have a 2 million dollar general liability insurance policy. I have a small spreader and a 3/4 ton truck. People are making assumptions already. There are no railroad tracks on this lot? I have some removal experience just no commercial bidding experience. All I want to do is give the guy an accurate bid that I won't lose my ass on.

20. unior

unior Member

Location is Central rural WV