1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for anyone that has used water softner salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by McVey Landscaping, Jan 4, 2008.

1. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

I had bought a semi load of bagged Ice Away rock salt 18 pallets thinking it would last me the season. Yeah we have been hit with some pretty good Ice Storms, and snow storms. My supplier is out of bagged salt. I don't have any place to store bulk, or a way to load it. We have a water dealer here in my town that has Solar Salt water softener. He says it would work just fine on any type of pavement source. Says it is just cleaner than rock salt. I know any Ice Melter you put down can be harmful for the pavement source. Had heard that softner salt is the worst. Anyone having any knowledge of this please let me know. :waving:

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I use it on some properties. It works just like rock salt. Solar salt (blue bag) is the cheapest that i've found. It's available at Lowe's and Home Depot as well. Check around for prices, I've never found a water dealer to be the cheapest.

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

We got three semi loads of Morton White Crystal Salt(Water softner salt)...and used it all up...its just cleaner salt.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tabs

make sure they are small tab's or they clog up the auger and do not disperse very well .

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think i would use it unless it your last resort. the chunks are too large, you need a more even spread pattern.

6. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

It is the small tabs,blue bags from Culligan Water supply. Thanks for the help.

7. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Thanks I have read several people using Morton salt products. Just had a few customers asking what I would be using since I ran out of Rock Salt. They were afraid of it being Harsh on the pavement. I explained to them that Concrete is easy to fix compared to a broken hip from an elderly person. Of course they agreed.

8. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Sweet plow ride!!:gunsfiring:

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

J L - Where are you located? I can get 80lb bags of crushed rock at a good price.

10. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

The salt I have looked at is the small pellets about a #1 size or smaller.

11. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Monmouth Il. 45 miles south of the Quad cities if you have heard of it.

12. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

I was getting 50# bags for $3.25 a bag. Supplier just out at this time was looking for something to get me by for a little while. What can you get a 80# bag for.

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

$.78 more than you were paying for 50#...but I'm not at all close to you. I'm in Brainerd, MN and that's like 8 hours from you.

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Hey Camden, My buddy owns a fishing resort in Hackensack. We are up there once or twice a year, I love that area!

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

o okay that's good.....our last load of bulk had some softner pellets mixed in that were the size of baby carrots.

16. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

this moron restaurante owner uses the large tabs all the time...it's funny, they sit in the parking lot weeks after the storm....all bundled up in the corner.....small tabs prolly ok...large tabs are harlarious...

17. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Brainerd MN, I used to race my motorcycle's at your road course track. Loved the place, nice country