1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckhunter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

Had our first snow yesterday and got me thinking of something that happened last year, though I'd get your advice/input to see if I was right or wrong.
    I was out plowing one of my commercials, takes an hour or so to get the job done right. I get a call from another business that I service. It was a funeral home and they were having a calling hours. I had plowed them just before it started so that it was cleaned right off. Then I moved on to the lot I am plowing. We had about another 2 inches of snow since it had started and they wanted to know if I could come make a couple passes down the walking paths. I say sure and skip over and get the job done. I left the lot I had been plowing half done. I was gone 20 maybe 30 minutes. I get back and the owner of the lot I had been plowing was driving by and had seen the lot half finished. He was really mad.
    Now I know everyones going to say don't leave a job until its done, but its 830 at night and he has been closed for 3 hours. I know it seems like I gave preference to the other business, but they were trying to look good. I figured it would help my relationship with them and they would say "geez that guy just came over and helped me out." Could go a long way in the future. I wouldn't have left if the store i was plowing was still open or it would have been half done when it opened. This is my third year of business and I really pride myself on how my work is done, and I do everything I can to eliminate mistakes. Just looking for what some of you older guys think or would have done.

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

if the place you left was closed, then the owner shouldn't have had a problem with it. i agree with your choice though, i would have left to help out the funeral home as well, building a relationship like that can't be measured and i'm sure they appreciat eyou more
  3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

FWIW I agree 100% with your decision. I'm assuming a calling hours was a viewing so yea you made the right call. The last thing someone at one of those needs is to slip or have to walk through snow.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Good Call on that one. They are closed and the lot will be clean in the morning for the owner. I have been plowing a lot at night and said forget it and left to take a nap and came back early morning to finish it. Dont worry about it.
  5. Matts Kitty

Matts Kitty Junior Member
    from Vermont

Were you plowing by the hour for your commercial? Maybe he thought you were plowing on his dime. If not, what kind of jerk gets mad about helping out a funeral home? Honestly, really......
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I do a funeral home too. They call me the night before if it's going to snow to tell me if something is going on. Don't it bother you. Or tell him you skipped over the funeral home to plow his lot first.
  7. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

You were right in your decision, I would have done the same exact thing!
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

No. You did right on the judgment call. Just make sure if this ever happens, that you don't leave any piles or rows in the entrances, or somewhere that is going to block access to the building.