1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Nov 22, 2008.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i have been subbing for a freind of mine for 3 years now. i have known him since we were kids, he gives some work during the warmer monthes. the problem is he never tells me what my route will be until it snows nor does he give me a dollar amount until halfway thru the season for the prepay work, there is some per trip plows but minimal $ last year i was running salt for him and did very well. well this year i had asked him how everything was shaping up and he said good plenty of work. i then told him also that i had 2 contracts:angry lined up for about 9 grand and only 1.5 -2 hours per event. he told me dont bother with that i have salt work and plenty of plowing. so a week later after i let those contracts go. he tells me his salt got cut so he will do the night runs and i will take days. then he tells me that my pre pay plowing got cut so i will take a hit there as well. my gut tells me to tell him to go screw but my wife and 6 month old son tell me to stay to at least pay the mortgage. im probably rambling but any advice would be appreciated :realmad:
  2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

How long a go did you let lose of those clients you had line up and if it's not a that long ago I would call them back and see if they had made a dicession yet on a contractor for the season and that you would like to do it and tell them what had a happen must we then fell sorry for you and may give you the contract then!!
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say to take this as a lesson learned - depend on nobody but yourself. Yes, see if you can get them back. If not, go see if you can get some other work. Don't worry about whether it's going to interfere with his work - he didn't worry about you. This may sound harsh, but it's a lesson I learned a LONG time ago. It isn't a done deal till the money is in my pocket.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try to line up some more work.
  5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

You have a responsibility to look out for you and your family, get your own accounts, start now.
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

go after the acc's you plow for him . did you show up on time or is their more to this story ?
  7. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

there is not more to the story. the only thing is that he saw how much he paid me for salt services last year and wants that money for himself. every account is zero tolerance so we were out alot. but what the hell am i supposed to do he offered me 9k for prepaid plowing thats a full 8-10 hours per event i could have had the same money with my own two accts and would still have many hours for other work. he told me to ditch those 2 because he had pletny of work i can not get those accou nts back as they have already signed with another company next year i could have them but not now.
  8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

This guy is not your friend but someone who is taking of advantage of your trust having known each other for so long. I always thought subbing was what you did to break into the biz until you get your own accounts which are almost always more lucrative. Most contractors expect to gradually lose good subs as they build their own biz. Sorry to hear you let those two go... tough lesson.

I would let this guy know you are pissed and you know he is stabbing you to keep the gravy work he promised you.