1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mayorquiambe, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mayorquiambe

mayorquiambe Junior Member

:waving: I’m new to snow removal and lawn maintenance. I’ve been working in corporate America for the past 6 years and am just burnt out by it. I used to work in construction, but thought that a desk job was the way to go, boy was I wrong. Too much bull@#$! to deal with. I’m looking at getting at into snow removal this season and lawn maintenance in the summer. I’m a little green with it though.
    I’ve read through many posts and have to admit that you guys know your stuff. These forums have really motivated me to pursue the start of my own company. Of’couse as a newbie I have many questions and would love if you guy’s could lend me some of your expertise.
    I’m looking at buying a used 1994 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Super Cab diesel truck with 252,000 miles on it. It has a manual Trans with a Boss V-power plow. I plan on having everything checked out on the truck before I buy and not paying more than what its worth. Does this seem like a good starter truck? Keep in mind I don’t have a lot of money to spend. I would like to buy something new but the cost is too much, as I would like to purchase a backup truck sometime this winter.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, mayorquiambe. While I'd say for a diesel, there's a lot of life left in that truck, I'd be concerned with the suspension and drive train. You may not spend as much front for the truck, but repairs could quickly offset any saving there.

I'd recommend getting as light of a plow as possible for that truck. Having a diesel engine and a super cab is putting a lot of weight on that front suspension. In fact, Fisher does not recommend putting any of its plows on that configuration. So, if you have another option, I'd say stay look a little longer.

EDIT - I just realized you said it's got a Boss Vplow. That's a heavy piece of equipment. I'd be concerned with how long it's been on there.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  3. mayorquiambe

mayorquiambe Junior Member

Thanks Mick. I guess than I'm better off buying a truck and building it into a plow. Any suggestions there? How much $$$ am I looking at?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When I go looking for a used truck, I allow at least $10,000 and it needs to be 4wd. Regular cab preferred. If you're looking at long-term, then I'd say 2500 or similar 3/4 ton. Diesel and gas each have their postives and negatives. The main negative of diesel is just what you found out - the weight of the engine. The positive is the power advantage. If you were to decide to do any sanding, there are sanders that will fit well on a 3/4 ton. I got a one ton diesel and really like it, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably try to get a 3/4 ton with a dump body. But I also do other things where a dump body would be a benefit.
  5. NEAL

NEAL Member

Welcome to PlowSite,

This is a great place to come and learn. I had a desk job too. I now have my own small lawn maintenance and snowplowing business. It has been much more difficult to get started than I thought, but do not regret doing it. The following things are just my opinions and experiences so take them for what they are worth. Advertising your business is key, you have to allow enough money to keep your name out there and get work. It took me 4 years into this before I realized the importance of it. Direct mailings and flyers to target areas for residential have worked the best for me. Continuous newspaper ads do ok for me too. Be frugal with your equipment purchases until your business gets going and proves to be profitable. The last thing you want is a ton of payments on a bunch of new equipment while you don't have as much work as you thought. You can always upgrade later. I don't personally know Ford trucks or diesel motors so i'm not sure about the truck you are looking at. Seems like an awful lot of miles though. I would recommend a 3/4 ton for plowing and pulling a lawn trailer but wouldn't pass up a good deal on a 1/2 ton if one came along. I started with a 1/2 ton but now that I see the difference of my 3/4 ton I wouldn't go back. I hope this helps and good luck!

P.S. One more thing I have learned is that mowing lawns alone won't make you a whole lot of money. You have to get more into landscaping to get the big dollars. At least by me it's that way.