1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HASS2013, Dec 7, 2013.

1. HASS2013

HASS2013 Junior Member
    from NY

I am new to this forum, I have plowed before, many years ago. Looking to purchase a plow for my 3/4 ton ram, trying to get useful advise on plow brands and average prices. been shopping around and prices seem to range dramatically. Not loyal to one brand looking for best bang for the buck
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the search function. Been discussed to death!!
    The horse has been beat, brought back, beat, and brought back to many times
    Everyone has there own opinion and they are all good.
    Dealer closest to your area THAT will give the best price and is the most honest.
  3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

What he said.
  4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You just said what every single guy on the site that has been here for a while was thinking :D
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I don't try and be mean about it. But it always ends up with a brand battle, a fight, this that what not and the threads get deleted, and the mods come in and close it down. Then the o.p. still has no clue what to get.
  6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

They should have that as a sticky for every new member.

All brand plows have their pro's and con's.

The biggest choice in choosing a plow should be dealer support, unless your doing all the maintenance and repairs on your own plow.

Even then you still need a dealer to get the parts you need unless your going to stock up on every single part you might need for a plow.

As for plows, your choices are a straight blade, a V, a wideout.

What you choose depends;
    on what your plowing,
    what your price range is,
    what your truck is.

You wouldn't want to put a 9 foot V plow on a ford ranger for instance.
    So check your trucks specs and get the right size plow for it.

If your doing small tight spaces, a 8 to 9 foot blade just makes things harder than say a nice 7 foot one.

The reverse is your doing wide open lots so a 7 foot is not ideal -(it can be done, but takes longer) so a 8 to 9 foot blade is the ticket to get the job done faster.

And if your doing a mixture a V is the way to go.

Pretty much all straight and V plows these days commercial grade offer wings.
    Some like them, some do not it's your preference.

If your only plowing a little bit like your own driveway, your parents, your neighboors you don't need a full grade commercial plow.

If your going to be plowing a lot, spend the extra money and go for commercial grade. You will be happy in the long run.

I think this about covers it, did I miss anything?
  7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Nope, spot on as always!
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, here is your sticky for new snow plowers.
  9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

$50 says it won't make a big difference. There is the sticky for posting pics and guys still don't read that one lol.
  10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Triton: That $50.00 bet will make you wealthy !!!!