1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on which plow to buy...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jacktheb, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Hi, I have a Ford 2005 f-150 fx4 super cab and am looking to buy a new plow for it. I will be plowing around 10 driveways. The only options in my area are Fisher, Diamond and Boss. I've already talked to a Fisher and Diamond dealer and they told me to use a 7'6" plow. The Fisher is a RD one. My problem is I have no idea which is better to do driveways with(no parking lots)and which would be easier on my truck. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Which dealer has better service, parts and support?

3. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

For service I would say Diamond is the best.. The person I talked to sells them, installs them and fixes them.. The Boss and Fisher dealers sell them but don't install or fix them.. I would have to go to the installer or somebody else.. It looks like if I needed something fixed fast Diamond would win in that department...

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Most people I know use fishers. You could get a fisher RD or LD at 7 1/2 and be fine doing drives. I heard someplace that Fisher and Diamond are owned by the same company, but I'm not sure if thats true.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Actually it may be diamond and meyer....someone correct me?

6. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Yes it is Diamond and Meyer...

7. brimfield

brimfield Member

do you have the supercab with a 8' bed. Reason I ask is I"m looking to get a plow and the local fisher dealer told me that a 2002 Silverado 2500 ex cab long bed needs a8' blade because a7'6" would let snow under the back tire to run over and pack it down. The plow brand to buy is the one with the best local service and parts.

8. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

No I just have the extended cab with the regular size box. All 3 places said the 7'6" plow is the one to use.. I believe the best service around here would have to be Diamond... I can buy the parts and get them put on at the same spot... FIsher and Boss I would have to buy the parts on one side of the city and then take them to the other side to get put on... Unless I find someone other than the installer to put them on....

9. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Whoops I just clued in you weren't asking me that question.... Ignore that last post... haha

10. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

If that were the case, I'd go with Diamond.

Seems to me that on your particular setup, any 7'6" would be alright, and (I would think) each would weigh about the same, and therefor put close to equal stress on your truck. Although that probably depends more on how you plow, how much, how often, etc etc.

11. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

I pretty much decided to go with Diamond... The only thing that is making me ponder that decision is the fact Ive heard that Diamonds break down alot.. I don't hear that about Boss or Fisher. The only bad reviews I can find are about Diamond. Ugh.. I hate making big purchases..

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

well go with your gut. and if you but a new plow it will be warantied so breakdowns shouldnt be a huge problem if their service is good

13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If you have only 1 truck to plow the warranty doesn't help you in a snow storm!
    A no show doesn't make clients happy no matter what the excuse is....

Fisher and Western are also more or less identical.