1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on how to plow this lot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kmitt, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kmitt

kmitt Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hello,

I will be quoting this lot on Monday. This is my first year plowing so I really don't know how long it will take me to do the job. I have a F250 long box with 8" western plow.

This condo has 3 lots to care for. The large one looks the easiest. I am most concerned about the second lot. It's basically boxed in with all the fencing and whatever cars are in the way when I plow it. The third is just a driveway.

Where would you pile the snow? How long would it take to plow the whole thing? How would you handle the tight boxed in space of the second lot? Anything else that I should consider?

Any advice is appreciated.

Kevin

claridge.jpg

claridge lot 1.jpg

claridge lot 2.jpg

claridge lot 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think I'd take all the snow out of all 3 and push it across the road. :dizzy:

3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

The snow on the first lot (larger lot) I would push to the rear of the property. The other two I would push the snow out. There will be cars always in your way to slow you down but it looks pretty straight forward. I would allow a 1/2 hour total for each push without any shoveling.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Get ready to re-build some fencing! If this is your first year, it will take you longer than 1/2 Hr., with cars in the way things don't work out like you want. The simple drive will be about 5-10 min. the other 2 might be a cluster f... without a skidsteer.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Look into a skid steer, or possibly a jeep or small suv. Your going to find that the small lots are gonna be a pain in the butt with a full size truck, and cars still sitting in parking places.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd allow a half hour @ at least twice and that's if you are lucky. you will have to go in mid-day after the storm once folk are at work and clear where the cars are parked. A set of wings or a vee blade would help with controlling the snow.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Gonna need to do some backdragging on the 2nd and the drive so I would figure at least an hour and then 15-20 mins to clea up again when the cars move.

8. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i think the easiest way is with a skidsteer, on the 2 smaller lots, don't know laws about pushing snow across the street, you may have to push it on the grass area by the street between the walk and the street, the problem with that is if there is alot of snow, the pile will block the view from cars leaving the lot, especially small cars

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But the OP has a pick-up and plow. I don't think it would be economical to buy a SS for these three little lots.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are over thinking these lots. A couple of back drags and a few pushes half an hour and a cleanup later. $5,000.00 for the season.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod:

12. kmitt

kmitt Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the responses. This gives me a good idea of what to expect.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bah, it's easy to tell other people to spend their money. :dizzy:

Amen

14. WIPensFan

Ahhh.......The plowsite clique at it again!:laughing: I don't think anyone said you have to buy a skidsteer, just that these particular lots would be easier to plow with one. Maybe he doesn't realize how tight these lots will be with cars parked in the way. Maybe he could focus his attention to another account that's easier to do with a pick-up and plow.

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Even a half hour is to long. That lot will be filled with cars at night. 3 straight pushes to clear the lane in the big lot. The smaller one i guess i would back drag and stack snow into the corner near the side walk. the drive way, back drag. If he isn't out of there in 15 minutes he is doing some thing wrong. Clean up should take another 10 - 20 minutes depending on how many cars are in the lot.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  16. grandview

I'd take lots like that all day long. Go in and make a few passes go to the next one after it done snowing a little push here and there. Do you think the landlord really cares? As long as he don't get a phone call all is good. I do a couple of lots that are smaller then that.

17. WIPensFan

Are you trying to say just do a s..ty job and hope nobody complains?

18. grandview

I never do a shity job. Lots like this are easy and it don't take much to do .

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does it work?

20. WIPensFan

You're the man!