1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on a snowplow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by VBigFord20, Aug 17, 2004.

1. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Hello:D

Im Nico and live in the Cleveland Ohio area and just bought a new truck to use for plowing. I got me a nice F-250 4x4 with the 6.0 Turbo Diesel. With gas at over $2.00 diesel seemed to be the smart way to go.

Im looking for advice from anyone who has plowed with a diesel, people tell me it should be more then fine but I worry about adding the weight of a plow on top of the weight of the diesel. The truck does have plow prep.

I want to get a Myers Max polyplow, Im thinking a 8". Myers are made here locally and 90% of plow drivers here use myers. My friend has had one on his chevy for 7 years with nothing more then normal problems.

Also, this truck will not be used to plow a whole hellofa lot, but mainly to plow my house, and some family members houses, 4 apartment buildings and a bar we own.

But the one building has a tight lot with walls on three sides. Any advice?

Thanks, Nico.

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Congrats on the new truck. I wouldn't think anything would be bad putting a plow on that truck, the diesels already have the upgraded front springs. If it does, jsut get a set of timbrens. If it's a reg cab, a 7.5' would suffice, but I'd probably 8'. If that lot is your main concern, measure inbetween the walls to see what you can use. The plows come with guides so you can see where the edges are with plow down. good luck.

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

that truck will have no problms with a plow. if you need to just add some timbrens an dont forget the ballist in back.

so how long have you had it? and how you liking the 6.0l? awesome aren't they! i have an 04 F350 pds and love it. this is what i threw on it.

img_0017.jpg

4. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Had the truck for alittle over a week. Im loving the power of the diesel. Its my first diesel truck so its a big change. Before this I had a 95 F-150 extended cab with a 5.0 but last winter it was totalled on christmas eve when some street racers hit me on the highway. I loved that truck.

I also have a 97 Ranger that I had since it was almost new. Im glad to be out of that cramped little truck and into this monster. Plus my 16 year old brother is thrilled I gave it to him.

Whats these timberines people are talking about?

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

its funny i had a 99 ranger xcab an 01 150 but now i have 04 psd 350 almost the same trucks. as for timbrens go here www.timbren.com

6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Ah, OK Thanks for that. I actually run those on a few of the older flatbeds at work. Help to keep the rear from sagging.

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

no problm. thats what they do allright.

8. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

PSDF350, Where is the head gear?

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

forgot to put on for photo op. i will be taking some more pics with the snow deflector on i'll make sure i add headgear then.

10. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

is the head gear easy on easy off?

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

very easy just like the plow itself is easy. for the headgear alls you do is pull 2 spring pins pull off plus plugs. rich i think your going to like how easy on off these things are.

12. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Just a heads up the best priceing I found on Timbrens were from Michigan Truck spring. This was in December so there may be lower out there. But if your thinking about them. Also they are so easy to install if you have the tools and any mechanical experience. I would recommend doing them yourself rather than having a dealer install them only because of the often times inflated labor charge. But thats just my opinion from a poor college student!

The link to their site is :

http://www.truckspring.com/

13. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

PSDF350, Can't wait going up Monday to have it installed I will post pic.

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yes post pics lots and lots of pics.

15. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

That wont be a issue. I work days for a tire distributer, and before I moved into doing ordering/ invintory/ some deliverys, I worked in the retail store on cars, I can handle installing suspension parts.

16. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I suppose that would work too!;)

17. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member