1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice - choosing a dealer & plow on a Tundra

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Kaiser, Dec 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kaiser

Kaiser Junior Member

New to Plowsite. Here are the details...i live/work in NE MA. Plowing driveways and parking lots; No streets with a 2010 Dbl. Cab Tundra. Truck has HD Battery, HD Alternator and HD Starter. Will consider a lift kit if necessary. My nearest dealer - Lawton Welding & Truck in Topsfield carries Boss and is open during storms for support. Would appreciate some feedback on them too. I contacted Boss and a rep told me that even though the product selector chooses the Sport Duty, I can put on a Standard Duty. Here's why: The GVWR is the same for the regular cab as well as the Dbl Cab. So when you enter the Reg. Cab on the product selector it provides a choice of either the Sport or Std. Duty. Again, here's why: The GVWR is based on having a full load, which includes people. Of course, I don't intend on loading it up with the whole family to go plowing. Would really like the Std. over the Sport as I don't wanna bring a knife to a gun fight.

I appreciate your feedback. Especially anyone who has installed the same or similar setups and has used it as well.
    Thanks in advance.

Kaiser

2. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I think the tundra can handle a plow better than any other half ton out there. There are a few guys on here running Fisher X-blades, 8' HDs, and even bigger boss plows. If I was you, I would go for an 8' Boss, something that weighs over 600 lbs, if I was gonna do it over again and go Boss, I would get the 8'2" V plow,
    don't be afraid to get a heavy plow, the tundra can handle it. I would put on a leveling kit at the very least, just so you don't bottom out, and half tons just look a little meaner with a lift on it!!!

3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

You might wanna go to New Hampshire to actually have a plow installed, it might be a bit cheaper, and for maintenance or breakdowns, use the dealer nearest to you. Just because you had your plow installed at another dealer doesn't mean the dealer closest to you won't touch it, besides, they will be happy to help you out during a storm, to them its money in the pocket. I would also suggest getting an emergency parts kit and a variety of tools with you, incase of a breakdown, you might be able to fix it yourself, like if a hose blows, easy fix and you won't get screwed to have it fixed by the dealer. Let us know what you decide to do, check out some Fisher plows too, both are great plow manufacturers

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Not worried about front end damage? Or premature wear?

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I disagree with pretty much everything the above poster just told you. Why in the World would you want to put a 8'-2" V plow on a half ton truck? Can it be done? Yes. Is it smart? Not at all. I would go with the standard duty plow though. The person that explained that to you was right. I would also buy from the dealer that you want to support you. I learned this from experience. I bought from a place that was an hour and a half away from me, now when the busy season is here, guess who the local dealers will service first? Yup, the person that bought their plows from them. All just common sense. If you owned the dealership, and you had two customers waiting there for service, one bought from you and one didn't, who would you take care of first?

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Junior Member

I agree. Was thinking the same thing myself. Not worth it to save a few bucks. Also think the V is too large as well.

7. JustJeff

I think what you posted initially was just about right for you and your truck. Regular standard duty straight blade. Add wings if you want and you'll have a pretty good set-up on your hands. It's also very reassuring to know that the place you bought your plow from is open 24/7 during storms. Could you save a few bucks going elsewhere? Maybe, but the cheapest price isn't always the best price if that makes any sense to you.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

100% good info here.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You might wanna go to New Hampshire to actually have a plow installed, it might be a bit cheaper, and for maintenance or breakdowns, use the dealer nearest to you.

Really, so a dealer that's gunna possibly help you out in an emergency isn't good enough to get the plow installed from?
    Don't listen to this guy. Sometimes spending more for better service upfront will pay itself back later. Go to the dealer that you mentioned.

10. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Thats not what I meant in the least. Your not from Mass, so you don't know that NH is like 10 minutes from Topsfield, and if he's gonna drive to Topsfield from Lynnfield, why not drive an extra 10 minutes and go to NH? And to the guys above, yea, maybe the Boss V might be a little heavy for the tundra but an 8' fisher HD is not, and plenty of people here run one, and the weight difference is like what? maybe 100 lbs? They don't know tundras like the guys that drive them. Most of these guys are haters anyways, they just don't like the tundra and don't give it enough credit.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It don't matter where I'm from. Your still saying....get it installed here b/c there cheaper......but get your service here b/c there open 24hrs. That is not good business customer relationship period.
    You may be right that the dealer who didn't install it will work on it......but maybe after they....cleaned the toilet, washed the windows, shampooed the carpets, blogged for an hour...get my point?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  12. JustJeff

Nobody other than you mentioned a Fisher blade. The difference from an 8'-2" v blade to a 7'-6" Standard duty boss blade is 597-785 plus the weight of the mount. That's close to 200 lb difference. And that's just for the VXT, not the DXT. 600 lbs. is plenty of weight for the front end of a half-ton truck. As I stated earlier, can it be done? Yes. Is it smart? Not by a long shot.

And nobody said a single negative thing about the Tundra on this thread, that's just your Napoleon complex coming out because you happen to own one.

13. JustJeff

And you should listen to dieselss, he knows what he's talking about as well. People that make stupid or uninformed comments to begin with look even more foolish when they try to defend them.

14. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

No, I know exactly what you mean. Your right, I just don't think the people working at the dealer really care where the plow was installed, you know its not gonna be the owner thats there at 3 in the morning when your pulling your plow in for service, but, your right, go to the same dealer you get it installed in for service or when you breakdown.

15. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Harley, your just a fisher hater, and a tundra hater. whatever bro

16. JustJeff

See, there you go again. Making stupid/uninformed comments. I don't hate Fishers or Tundras. You can check every thread I've ever commented on and not find a single negative comment that I've made about either. What I do hate, is people making stupid assed comments to someone, trying to give advice when they obviously don't know what the hell they're talking about. So, stick that in your Weather tech floormat, Inseam vent visor, Rock warrior shift knob pipe and smoke it. And I'm not your Bro.

17. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I suggest using the plow selectors from the oems. Tie it to local dealers and see what makes sense. I don't think you need to be within 10 miles of your dealer but that's me. A Meyer VLD is best of both worlds. It's a V and it can be carried by most 1/2 ton trucks, under 699 but nit sure about the mount. Bit more $ but if they had that or if I had looked I'd probably have one...

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going to go with the Standard Duty from Lawton. Has anyone done biz with them?

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have an 8' HD Fisher on my 2012 Rock Warrior and it handles the plow with out a problem. I have Bilstien 5100 coil overs and Timbrens. If I was you I would go with a 7.5' Boss VXT. The 7.5' VXT weighs about the same as an 8' HD Fisher. Tundras can handle a 700lb+ plow with out a problem. There are quite a few Tundras in my area with 7.5' Boss V plows. As far as witch dealer to go with, I'd go with your local dealer since they have good service.

20. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy use to have a hiniker V on his 98 chevy 1/2 ton. Did it work.......yes. But it sure was hard on his front end - even with air bags.

I'd go with a standard duty plow on your truck.