1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for advice and a plow 1988 f 250 diesel

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by country_boy_200, Feb 8, 2014.

1. country_boy_200

country_boy_200 Junior Member

hey guys, I'm the new guy around here. I have a 1988 f 250 4x4 7.3l diesel. I have done a sas on it and am now running a Dana 60 king pin front as well as new 3 leaf 4300 pound front springs. I am looking to hang a plow on this truck, I am only going to be plowing at the farm and for one of my family members that I take care of, nothing commercial. I found a guy local with a fisher MM2 7'6''. for 950. appears to be in decent shape but its a plow only, no harness or brackets. so my questions what's a MM2 weigh, and what's one in decent shape worth? I see that most plows are not recommended for diesels because they exceed the GVW of the truck, but will the mounts still bolt up to the frame?
    I've also been looking at Meyer tube mount plows for the same truck.
    what yall think?
    Thanks Brandon
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

since you've gotten rid of the dana 50 IFS and are running a dana 60 with 3 leaf front springs, weight is no longer a concern. that setup will carry any plow you like.

find a complete setup - truck specific bracket, truck specific wiring, and plow. don't piece it together. that usually costs more in the long run. are you looking for a newer setup where everything comes off the truck, or the older "conventional" setups where only the blade removes from the truck? for a 1988 model year both styles exist. find a complete setup off a 1980-1991 F250 or F350 - the ford frames were the same these years/models. The only thing to look out for were some plow brackets off a gas truck may be a problem on the diesel as most diesels had a larger radiator which could interfere with the plow bracket.

and this is the picture forum, so if you're gonna post here at least throw up a picture of the truck.
  3. fhafer

fhafer Member

I have a 1990 F250 with the 7.3 idi/na with a ST 7'6" Meyers/E47 set-up...no problems at all. I think the plow is too small and I'm looking for an 8' blade. I have an 8' Bri-Mar dump bed in the back.
  4. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

I agree, usually easier to find a complete setup... you want at least an 8' blade, although a 7.5 with wings would work okay too... Either way, the dana 60 and new springs would handle a 9.6 V-plow if you had one... Plow weight is a non issue for your rig.

On a side note, if you find a western unimount plow, I have a mount and wiring minus the controller I would sell. Its from my 90 F250 diesel, so it would work with your truck.
  5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Since you are pretty much just plowing around the farm, why not find an old 8' or 9' Fisher conventional Speed cast plow. They can be found for dirt cheap. Shouldn't be hard to find one off an 88 Ford.
  6. country_boy_200

ok thanks for the advice guys, I guess I should have looked closer to where I was posting..lol. maybe a Mod could move this to where it belongs.

that's kind of what I figured all along, I talked to several dealers in my area who weren't really interested in helping me unless I spent 5 grand on a new plow. but from looking online last night just for a harness it was looking like around 500 bucks so between that and a mount id be in the fisher prolly around 2 grand.

I do not want a conventional plow. I would go for a meyer tube mount stlye plow though, or something like a unimount western or a MM fisher. we have good parts support for all of those names around here.
  7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with the Western or Fisher out of those choices...probably the Fisher, I prefer trip edge.
  8. country_boy_200

another question, will I have any issues due to the truck being lifted. its lifted about 3 inches.
  9. country_boy_200

I would go with one if I could find one but its kind of hard to find anything for this series of truck around here because most of the trucks this age have rotted away to nothing.