1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Advice - about to buy....

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jrousell, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jrousell

jrousell Junior Member
    from NY

I am about to purchase a setup for plowing my driveway( not starting a ocmmercial business). While it is just my driveway- it is a relaly big driveway that turns while going up a steep incline. A serious enough driveway that everyone who sees it asks what the heck I do in the winter...

I currenl;ty own a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. I have two options I am deciding between:

1) buying a new small snoway straight blade ( maybe teh 6' 8" ST) for my trailblazer

2) buting a used traditional plow (like western or meyer ) and a 96-99 SUV ( maybe ford explorer or similar) to use as a plow vehicel and second car...

I do not wnat to put too much stress or damage on the trailblazer. I also want to know how quickly and esily I cna take the snow-way on and off so that my wife can use it without the plow on it...( if I went with the snowway)

A big goal of mine is to scrape the steep part of the driveway as close as possible ( and often)

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Trailblazer

Jeff,

The Sno-Way ST80 model would make an excellent plow for your Trailblazer. It would come standard with our patented hydraulic down pressure system. Excellent for backdragging and scraping driveways. To learn more about this plow visit our factory website http://www.snoway.com .

A 5 year structural and 2 year electrical/hydraulic warranty is standard as well. wesport

There is a fantastic promotion with exceptional pricing going on with this model through http://www.plowsunlimited.com . You order the plow through their website and Sno-Way will ship directly to you.

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.

3. jrousell

jrousell Junior Member
    from NY

yup-- that was my thinking

Yes that is the model and source I am contemplating... Thanks for the quick reply!

I am asusming the installation is somethign I can takle myself( I am quite handy)

But I am more curious about teh expected wear and tear on my new SUV.. and would it be wise to take that money and get an older setup instead...

Also- how wquickly could I get the plow on and off? I will need ot do this quite often so my wife cna take the Trailblazer some mornings...

4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

If figure hom much it would cost for a used or new western or meyers plow plus another suv, which would be used, I think you would be better off with the snoway. I have been plowing up to 45 residentials plus 2-3 commerical lots for the last few years and have never had hardly andy problems with either the plow or truck. And the problem I had with the plow was quicly fixed under warranty. Investing in a new plow will save you money down the road. Since you wont' have a second vehicle to maintain and a used plow to maintain. Taking a snoway off is as simple as three pins and three wire connections.
    If you don't mind the handiwork I think you would be able to install it yourself. But working with a local dealer is always helpful to develop a relationship so that when something does go wrong, you have somewhere to take it to fix it under warranty. Goodluck! :salute:

5. toby4492

Jeff,

Corkireland is correct in stating that the plow is a 3 pin hookup. You would also have 1 main power connection, a connection for the receiver on the snowplow ( unless you go with our patented wireless control option ) and 2 connections for the lights. This plow would only weigh around 300 lbs so it is not very difficult to move around. Even though the plow is lighter in weight as mentioned in my previous response it is equipped with our patented hydraulic down pressure system so it will scrape as well as a heavier plow. By the sounds of it you are only looking to use it as a homeowner plow and remove it from the vehicle when not in use, so wear and tear on the vehicle would be minimal. Installing yourself would not be overly difficult if you are handy and have the proper tools to do so. I would agree in the importance of building a relationship with a local dealer should there be any service that you would require down the road. If I can provide any additional info let me know. Did you check out http://www.plowsunlimited.com for pricing?

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager

6. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Good thread

I'm in the same situation as JRousell, and was wondering about how much stress the Sno-Way ST places on the front end. I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner and I'm leaning heavily towards a Sno-Way.

Having said that, what are the differences between the ST and the 22 series? I did look at the website and the web videos but I wasn't clear which route I might want to go for the 4Runner.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  7. toby4492

MaineMike,

The 22 series is replacing the ST model in our snowplow lineup. Differences would be a taller blade profile, new mounting system, and EIS lighting system to name a few. Both would make excellent choices for your 4Runner. Warranty coverage is identical on both models. Any plow will put stress on the vehicle that it is installed on if the plow is transported frequently. For those that are looking to do so I always recommend Timbrens or some other form of load booster. For those that are taking care of there own properties and remove the plow when done using then generally speaking the wear and tear becomes less of an issue. Keep in mind that while plowing the blade is on the ground a good portion of the time. If I was in the market I would most likely go with the ST due to the promo available through http://www.plowsunlimited.com . As mentioned both would make excellent choices.

Regards,
    Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Purchase with the poly wear edge instead of the steel wear edge, it will decrease the weight. They (poly wearedges) do a great job and wear like steel.

9. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Plowsite Rocks!

Toby and Basher: thanks for the input! Great group of folks responding to questions on this website.

Well, just a couple more thoughts:

1) I guess I'm splitting hairs here, but I have to ask. What are the benefits of the new mounting system on the Sno-Way 22 series as opposed to the ST series?

2) The deals on the ST plows at plowsunlimted.com do look good, but let me throw a curveball if I may. Let's say that I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. I buy a ST plow at a reduced price and have to install myself. How tough would I find the install? Also, I'm wondering if the shipping costs alone would narrow the gap between what I'd save going through plowsunlimited.com versus what I'd pay for a dealer to install an ST for me. It seems to me the ST sale through plowsunlimted.com would be great if shipping costs were fairly low and if I could easily install the system myself. But if I went through a dealer and had the plow installed for me, should I then go with the 22 series?

Thanks guys, hope I'm making sense here.

10. corkireland

I believe the new mounting system would be similar to the new mounts for the larger blades, Instead of having a three pin hook up where you have two pins at the base and one in the middle, there would be only two pins on the sides and hooks the bottom of the plow would latch on like the mounting video on this website:

http://www.snoway.com/snow-plows-29.cfm

And as far as your shipping cost versus finding a dealer. Thats going to come down to how far is a dealer from you. What kinda of deals can the dealer make for you and then seeing how much or how little the difference between shipping charge. And for the curve ball of installation. Why not check to see if a dealer in your area could install it for you and how much that would cost. Then factor that back into your cost difference between a possible st or a 22 series.

Goodluck either way! :salute:

11. corkireland

Hey Tom, here is kinda of a cheesy request, but any guess when snoway is going to redo their 29 and 32 series advertisement videos? Ok I admit, I'm a snowplow junkie, and I watch these videos in the offseason to satieate my addiction!

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The problem with the ST is Snoway is not making mounts for the newer vehicles. unless you want to keep buying older trucks to put the plow on you need to let the plow and truck stay together. you can't put it on a newer truck. plus as the mounts are gone it is my understanding they are not manufacturing anymore.

If you go to a dealer, get the 22 series, it's taller. has a better mounting system and you will be able to move it to a new truck if you buy one

13. toby4492

corkireland Hey Tom, here is kinda of a cheesy request, but any guess when snoway is going to redo their 29 and 32 series advertisement videos? Ok I admit, I'm a snowplow junkie, and I watch these videos in the offseason to satieate my addiction!

Corkireland,
    We will be shooting new video this winter when the snow starts to fly around here and will incoorporate the new film into the website. Actually the website will go through a major overhaul over the next 12 months. I appreciate your comments.

MaineMike Toby and Basher: thanks for the input! Great group of folks responding to questions on this website.

Well, just a couple more thoughts:

1) I guess I'm splitting hairs here, but I have to ask. What are the benefits of the new mounting system on the Sno-Way 22 series as opposed to the ST series?

2) The deals on the ST plows at plowsunlimted.com do look good, but let me throw a curveball if I may. Let's say that I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. I buy a ST plow at a reduced price and have to install myself. How tough would I find the install? Also, I'm wondering if the shipping costs alone would narrow the gap between what I'd save going through plowsunlimited.com versus what I'd pay for a dealer to install an ST for me. It seems to me the ST sale through plowsunlimted.com would be great if shipping costs were fairly low and if I could easily install the system myself. But if I went through a dealer and had the plow installed for me, should I then go with the 22 series?

Thanks guys, hope I'm making sense here.

MaineMike,
    1) The mounting system on the 22 series is a drive in mount like our other series of plows. No loose pins.
    2) The deals through plowsunlimited.com are fantastic. As far as installing the plow yourself, the plow would come with a complete and very thorough set of installation manuals. I generally tell those that choose to do it figure a Saturday and a couple of beers with a buddy to get it done.:drinkup: . Shipping cost will vary depending on whether shipped to a residential address or shipped to a freight terminal where you could pick up. If you would like to receive a freight quote PM me with your zip and which model of plow you are interested in.

As far as Sno-Way not supporting the mounting system as Basher states this is somewhat innacurate. He is correct in stating that we will discontinue producing the 3 point mounts. However we have developed conversion kits for all our 3 point attach plows such as the ST that will allow you to keep the snowplow for years to come. If you would want to change the plow over to a newer vehicle you would buy the mount for the new truck along with the conversion kit which would adapt the snowplow to the new mounting system. I know of no other plow manufacturer that has taken this step to assure that their customers can keep their plows for years to come.

Happy Halloween!!!

14. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

That's good to hear, Toby!
    Consumers have a strong dislike of buying something that could be rendered obsolete in the near future, and I'm no different.

And thanks, Basher - for the advice re: the 22 series plow. I'll have to mull this over for the weekend and figure out which way to proceed but I have a clearer picture now thanks to you guys.

15. toby4492

MaineMike,

If you need any additional information let me know. With either plow you won't do yourself wrong.

16. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Well the one buddy who could help me install the plow doesn't drink. So I guess I could let him install the plow while I sit back with the brewskis and "supervise".....heh heh!
    :jester:

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I was aware of the MT/HT conversion kits did not know there was one for the ST, if so , my bad. If there is a conversion kit and it's priced like the MT/HT the the $500/600 (depending on the dealer) negates a lot of the ST savings, particularly if you add in an hour labor.

18. jrousell

jrousell Junior Member
    from NY

thanks for your time and help!

I very much appreciate your quick response.

I do believe that the ST would be a great options for me especially at the reduced prices.

I however found a used meyer straight blade plow for a greta deal locally( $400) that is in very good condition. I have a line on a 98 GM truck with 100K miles for 4 grand.

while the ST option on my trailblazer would do a great job I am sure...
    It would really be nice for me to have a truck around for other things too- :)

again - thanks for your time

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

20. jrousell

jrousell Junior Member
    from NY

yes- understood

I have a friend who is a welder and can help me fabricate what I need