1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a used vbox gas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by readysnowplow, Apr 23, 2010.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a v-box that holds at least a yard or so. I am in Chicago and need it for the upcoming season. I've been using tailgates but they are a pain in the you know what. This year it's all v-box but I am not looking to spend the new prices. Help me out!

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

could sell you a home made gas v box centrefugal clutch, cable throttle, switches between trucks cause the controls outside the window. needs paint. $1500.CDN
    Get some pictures next week. Easily holds 1.75 yrds. You'd have to pick it up.

3. readysnowplow

Let me see the pix

4. Mr.Markus

Will do... after weekend.

5. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have a snow x provee 1.5yard that has new controller,and all new motors and transmissions and bearings. It has a total of 3 vibrators so flow is NOT a problem. I know its not gas but this spreader work very well!!$2500.

6. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

what model is the snow ex

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

wait until that gas motor doesnt start, or the chain/belts jump, or the electronic throttel goes bad...then you will be talking about a PITA - but good luck

8. readysnowplow

I'm new to the v-box arena. What is a PITA? And are yoyu saying don't do a gas motor? If so, what option do you recommend?

9. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Sorry, It's a Pro Vee 8000 with a newer Omega controller, two new motors and transmissions. I installed two extra vibrators along with new couplers and bearings. The spreader is in the Chicago area if anyone would like to see it. I have receipts for spinner assembly, controller and all work done to back of spreader.ussmileyflag

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i don't know how new you are, but let me shed some light

1) PITA pain in the a$$

2) Most of the v box manufactures are going to hydraulic or electric drive, the old gas engine chain drives seem to be on the way out. Still lots of the gas jobs out there, I have one, and quite enjoy it.

3) Welcome to plowsite

11. readysnowplow

Hey CJWOZ, I'm also in Chicago and would be interested in taking a look at what you have in the V-Box Snow Ex. Can you give me a number to contact you or call me directly.
    Thanks,
    773-491-8545

12. Mr.Markus

Pictures of the home-made circa 1988. 5.5hp honda, screen, roll up tarp, works well. Needs paint and work.

Also have a seized 5 yard Hi-way Super P. Needs Engine and possibly chain conveyer or lots of FF. Body is strong with screen. Upside down spreader in last picture.

tv april 26 2010 004.jpg

tv april 26 2010 003.jpg

tv april 26 2010 002.jpg

tv april 26 2010 005.jpg

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We're selling an electric Snow Way Vbox complete, mild steel in nice used condition. Holds 1.6 yards, 2 seasons old, conveyor type with inverted V. Not to knock SnowEx's but conveyors are way more desired over vibrator type. SnowEx's advantage is that they're poly.

Only reason its for sale is b/c we bought a stainless AirFlow on last years pre-season order and it didn't sell. Decided to use it this upcoming season.

$2,200

Come down and we'll load it in your truck, or I can deliver it for another $100

New price was close to $4k

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  14. readysnowplow

snow way

got h20 give me a call so I can take a look at what you have. Where exactly are you located?

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Here are some pics of it.

Located in Griffith, IN 46319. About 10-15 mins from the IN/IL border. I can do a little better price wise too. I was thinking and we don't need that much out of it. I can do a couple hundred less. It's starting to show its use. I suppose if it were cleaned after each use it would look like new still, and honestly it rarely gets cleaned. When its empty it gets filled right bach up for the next event. It typically moves a hopper full per storm, sometimes more. It does get greased often though, and was greased before I removed it the other day. If you were to add 8" sides it would give you another yard. We run sides on our other SnowWay and it handles the added weight just fine. A benefit of having an inverted V.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  16. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Not to knock the Snow way conveyors but that is exactly why I bought the Snowex. Is it really 2 years old?

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol I wouldn't make it up. There's probably an mfg date on it somewhere, I'll look. Like I said it was never really cleaned, and our other SnowWay is stainless. Use both and you'll never one without a conveyor again. We used to run Snowex's, no more. This one was FULL of salt as of a couple days ago. Imagine what it looked like after sitting in the weather for the last 2 months. Pushed it all out with no problem. A vibrator could never do that.

I'm not trying to bash them that bad, they're good units, pricey, but they do the job. I've just replaced 1 too many $400 vibrators, $600 controllers, transmissions, etc. Not to mention the framework rots out bad too.

18. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Since I installed 2 extra vibrators and a Omega controller the spreader has been fantastic! The only reason that I'm thinking of selling it is because I would run through 6 yards a night( on average) and a dump would speed things up. My wideout has already saved me alot of time and now I hope that a dump insert will too.

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Oh by all means, I was speaking generally. Not about yours in particular.

20. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Does anyone have any experience with dump inserts. I'm thinking of a ss buyers with their ss spreader. The buyers has.a power down feature and they are very reasonably priced. Any ideas???