1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a used plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroProperties, Mar 9, 2013.

1. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

I am beginning to look for a new truck for my guys because its costing me more to fix my nice truck then it is to by them a used work truck. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of somthing like a 1997 ford F-350. Do you recomend somthing like this? It would mainly be used in the winter plowing and on the odd jobs as well as towing my skid steer a handful of times. Do you recomend gas or diesel and how many miles do you think I should look for? Also is there anything I should look out for? And lastly do you think this is a good all around plow truck?
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Aahh, yes.. The gas or diesel debate again! What kind of 1997 F350? There are many variations of a 1997 f350. How many miles? How much can you spend?
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

so you think it will be cheaper to fix a 16 year old truck or a 16 year old truck wont break as much as a new one?
  4. MetroProperties

No not by any means. I am just sick of my guys hitting stuff with the new truck in a storm and its a mcrew cab lariat that he plows with while I drive the dump truck and i am to afraid they will hit somthing with that because of the crummy visibility so I have them use my personal ford f350 lariat when plowing and i am sick of repairing it so I want a plow truck that i dont need to fix the little dings and dents on.

And I am looking for a truck for with low mileage regular cab
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

See if you can get a 7.3 otherwise honestly all 3 engines are fine for what your looking for. If your buying an auto trans, I'd honestly say go 92-93. Thats before the trans switch, heavier trans for 92-93, after that its e40d. Also, watch for oil pan gasket leaking onto starter. MAJOR PITA. Diesels you have to nearly take out motor to fix, gassers you gotta jack up motor some to do. Got a few trucks like what your looking for, good trucks.

Just got my 97 F350 single cab long box with a boss 9 2 V on it, love it so far. Found this one with under 100k.
  6. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

go with a powerstroke. A single cab mid nineties f series truck will be a tank and perfect for having your guys drive. just try to find a lower mileage one and try to find one that hasnt been plowed with before and you should be golden.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you're not driving it, go with a gasser. Cheaper to fix all around and no worries about your guys putting gas in a diesel. 90's regular cabs are awesome.
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Has been a lot 99-03 popping up on the market 5.4 and v10 with low miles
    I looking to add 1 more truck but Im looking for a red one more white trucks out there
  9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

What about finding an employee that can do the work without messing your truck up every storm?
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have a 96 big block F250 reg cab 4x4 with 115k cheap if you're interested........but I'm quite a ways away.
  11. MetroProperties

I wish I could but though he is a bit reckless he has been my best employee in the last ten years and always shows up on time and isn't rediculously expesiven
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree, its easy to overlook certain things when they're a standup employee otherwise. Good work is hard to find. I have 2 guys that could never be replaced IMHO. They're as good as having 2 more of me on top of things, and that's huge. Really helps relieve the stress.