1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WINTER 3, Sep 6, 2007.

1. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

What do you think? I have a 96 f250 w/ a 351. Looking at a f350 srw w/ 5.4 motor & 4.10 gears. My truck has always done the job fine. Do you think I could still be happy with the new truck. I feel if I look for a v-10 that with my luck it will pass everything but the pumps. I didn't mention that the truck gets me around, plows snow, and tows a 7,000 lbs trailer. I had thought of adding exaust, and k&n air intake to improve mpg.

thank you for your imput
    Dave

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

have you looked into a diesel? Lots of power, and pretty good fuel economy.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

the 5.4 is not enough motor for a 1 ton truck i drive a F350 at work with the 5.4L it doesnt have near the power of chevys 6L

4. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I have a diesel in my other truck. This is my daily driven when not using the 1 ton rig. I'm a firefighter so I need a truck that I don't have to wait on when it's 20 below. I also drive only 12000 miles between 2 trucks. It isn't woth the extra $ for motor, more expensive oil changes, and higher fuel prices for a diesel at this time. My accountant said I need to be driving 12000 miles plus for it to pay for itself

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i dunno if ford man or not but if wanna gas truck i'd look into a chevy

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There is no difference in gas mileage between the 5.4 and the V-10. The 5.4 has to work so much harder then the V-10 to move the weight of the truck it suffers on gas mileage. The V-10 will always have enough power.

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

In defense of the 5.4, I've driven one since I bough my F250 new in 04, and it's never let me down when it comes to pushing snow. Seems like plenty of power for me. I have done some good size lots, hotels, businesses, driveways, etc... (even a few McDonalds) and never had a problem with the truck moving the snow.

Just FYI