1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a truck and plow help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimmypomeroy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jimmypomeroy

jimmypomeroy Junior Member
    from indiana

well i grew up in an area with no snow so i have never plowed before.now i live in an area with a decent amount of snow in the winter and since i have lawnmowing clients i would like to start plowing. im looking to spend around 5 to 10 grand on the truck and plow any advice would be grately appreicated. like to know what kind of truck and why and what kind of plow and why. thank you very much for any help
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

All i can say is read and read and read some more. And when it comes to plowing either you think or you know you want too. Halfway threw the season when you cant see grass anymore it can get alittle lonely and hard. If your not used to snow it might just be best to take the winter off. O ya welcome to plowsite. {i dont mean to come off like a jerk}
  3. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

the first snow is cool and your really into it, the second snow is ok, and by the third you've had enough so if your planning on plowing just be prepared to get bored and tired. if you do driveways bring someone else with you...it helps about 18 hours into it. as far as a plow find one where a dealer is close because theres nothing worse than having to wait 3 days for parts when theres snow on the ground. and a truck i'd buy a 3/4 ton they drive better in the snow than a dually. your best bet for your price range is to find a good used truck with a plow already on it since a new plow is at least 5 grand and its hard to find a decent truck for 5
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Like KGR said.....READ the forum posts. You will find a ton of advice. 5K won't get you much of a truck and plow. Start small and get some experience.
  5. jimmypomeroy

from indiana

hey well thanks for the advice and yes i know you long to see the sight of green grass after a couple of months of snow. but hey im gonna get into plowing ill take it slow so i dont get overwelmed but i want to grow and i want the business in winter as well as the summer time. so thaks again i will let you know what i end up getting for truck and plow
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

eglc has a truck for sale on here, $5200
  7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

check around your local auto trader craigs list all newspaper...but a truck then buy a plow....you can get a small s10 type truck to a 3500 ive plowed in them all...the s10 i had was awesome on driveways and tight spots....the f250 i was in was a little long for some of the driveways we did but i was also doing commercal lots too....right now i have a chevy 1500 with a 7'6'' plow....the 8footers are a little big on the drives but you can still do it with no problem...the only problem i have with plowing is after 7years i go back for the money not b.c i like it...i plow for someone else b.c i dont have to worry about a lot of stuff like billing estmates all the b.s other than the 3driveways i do...but you deff will need insurance thats a must and make sure you do a good job and make enoguh money to cover gas/truck/parts/insurance and are you going to salt if so theres a salt spreader comming into play so you got to figure out what you really are looking to do also set up a good route so you dont back track at all....gps units helps out there a little bit...but then there is more money....good luck
  8. jimmypomeroy

from indiana

hey thanks for the advice i am curently looking at 2 differnt trucks both are f150 both have 7'6" plows but one is a poly carb blade what is the advantage to a poly blade? one also has a speader with it already to hook up so im tempted to get the one with the spreader and the polycarb any help would be great. thanks again
  9. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Make sure you speak with your insurance agent about proper coverage for whatever type of plowing you do. There are many opinions about what the right amount of coverage is, but it is your call, as it is your business. You should be aware of slip-and-fall lawsuits, property damage lawsuits, commercial vehicle coverage, etc. If your insurance agent isn't familiar with this, talk to one who is.

You may already know all this, and I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just figure in the cost of insurance in your expenses or "how much I can spend" fund.

10. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The biggest advantage I'm aware of to use poly is that snow doesn't stick to it like painted or powdercoated steel. Manufacturers claim better fuel mileage while plowing due to the reduced drag, since snow tends to glide off it easier.
    My next plow may be a Fisher Xblade poly, but I'd like to get more feedback from current owners first. Poly plows are pretty scarce around here.