1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a truck- A few questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Calvinslawns, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a truck to start plowing with and would like to stay within the ford family of trucks. Is there any certain problems to look out for, IE: Engines, Certain years, Transmissions?

I'm open to suggestions, the only thing I wouldn't be able to afford is brand new. Under 15k is my budget.

Thanks
    Calvin

2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I would just look for the cleanest nicest pickup for 15k i could find. With your budget id say you could find a decent 7.3l or a very nice 5.4 or 6.8. All three are solid. .

3. dally

dally Junior Member

We have several v10s on the farm and ive owned 3 7.3 diesels and holy smokes do the v10s suck gas with a plow on or any weight for that matter. my vote is a clean 7.3 thats been taken care of. Ive had very few problems with them. They arent the best starters in real cold weather but plug them in and there fine, I would stay away from the early 99s if possible alot of things were changed mid year.

4. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

I know the 6.0 had problems, Any years to stay away from or look for? Or problems that would need to be fixed?

Thanks for the replies
    Calvin

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stay away from 2003 or 2004 6.0 Liters after that they seemed to be alot better

6. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

Exmark, how does the 5.4 triton plow? I have a ford expedition right now and am looking at getting a plow for that as well for a back up/small residential plow.

Thanks,
    Calvin

7. dally

dally Junior Member

if your looking for a 7.3 late 99 to mid year in 03 are all good. And like exmark said 03-04 6.0s had a boat load of problems the 05-07s seemed to be better

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

It works I guess, bit underpowered compared to our diesels. It's mainly our spare truck with 190,000 miles on it so it may be a bad example of how most of them are.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one though been a very reliable truck so far

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

7.3 PSD or a 5.4 gas. I have the V10, and with a rack and truck boxes on the truck my mileage is about 8.5 around town. Before the rack and boxes it was 10 around town. It is going to really suck the gas with 1000 lbs plow and 800 lbs of additional ballast. My old 7.3 PSD 1996 F250 would get 10 mpg towing 12k on the highway. The diesel can be more maintenance spendy, but if you get one in good shape and with all the kinks worked out, it is a very reliable engine. My old man has a 2000 5.4 and he has done literally nothing to the engine. He has 120k on it. Not much power, but it gets the job done and gets 12 mpg plus.

10. Calvinslawns

Calvinslawns Member

I love my 5.4, I have only changed the alt. and the COPS and I am set on it. I would mainly be a back up/ small residential truck.

Thanks for your responses.
    Calvin