1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a supplier of plow parts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

What I am looking for is a supplier of plow parts (Meyers/Fisher) that will sell to me at cost and in turn I can retail the parts to my plow customers and use them for my own equipment.

I own a gas station and would like to get into the plow parts business.

Does anyone have a source that they use to get plow parts to fix their own plows?

Whether it's a website or a catalog company via the mail or UPS, I don't care...What I want is to start stocking the most common items that break during a storm.

Any :help: would be appreciated...

2. ToyotaPower

Post or E-mail me...

If you would rather not post your answer...

Please send me a e-mail...:D

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

5. BRL

So here's my funny story about this. I was looking for a part this winter & checked at a couple of dealers. I'm at the one & the girl says she doesn't have it stock and she'll check if she can get it & what it'll cost. Behind the counter I see her thumbing through a Central Parts catalog, but she can't find the part. She walks away to get the phone and I grab the catalog and in 3 seconds I've got the page & item marked for her so she can give me my price. She tells me the price and it will be there in 3 days. I laughed as I told her " I have the same catalog at home, and an account with them, and I can order it & have them Next Day Air it, dropped off to my front door for $100.00 less, and not have to drive 40 minutes round trip to pick it up in 3 days. Maybe next time." She thought that was funny also.

I've seen Angelo's used by other suppliers in the area. I have used them, Central Parts, and J thomas and haven't had a problem with any of those. So I think the secret source is the same ones we are all using. But if you have the part in the middle of the night when someone needs it, you'll get the sales. Good luck.

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Call Vasso in North Haven

Or New Haven Body Builders in New Haven see if you can work a deal with either place.

Vasso does meyer
    NHBB does Fisher

Jay

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Give Jerre Heyer a PM,real good guy,i'm sure he can point you in the right direction.I've been toying with the idea of adding plow sales/service to my welding biz and he has been great in answering my questions.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Aw Shucks Arc, Thanks for the complement. Toyota, There are lots of sources depending on your quantity buy and brand needs. Lots of interchange avail too. As BRL said the secret is in having the part on hand when needed not having to order it. I've got customers who direct mail them but in a storm it's need it now. Also lots of times there can be more to it than just replace a part. The noggin has to be engaged from time to time before the cash or the credit card is applied. Jerre

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I stock a limited amount mainly for myself but also for some friends. I do not sell to the public though.

Having the right part on hand has saved me on more then one nigh plowing. Experience will let you know what parts you should have on hand and what parts interchange.

Examples. When all plows used couplers (and some still do) I always made sure mine were all the same. Keep a couple extra to be prepared. This way different makes and models can interchange some parts.

10. ToyotaPower

What Parts To Stock???

Here's an open ended question for everyone to buzz in...

What extra plow parts do you keep in stock?

What parts would you recommend a "Meyer Only" user to stock and hold the "jokes".

Just list some in the post, giving me a idea what to start ordering for the next season...

Looking for some :help:

Thanks for all the info on the plow part suppliers that members have listed in the post.:D

11. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Pins and hydraulic hoses seem to be our biggest "seller"....

Although sometimes the solenoids seem to all go at once everywhere....

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Meyer parts aye?Well first off i would build a huge pole barn to stock the parts...Come on,i'm just kiddin,i think we all agreed that ALL plows will fail at some point so with that in mind my Fishers seem to like their share of solenoids and trip springs.Hoses are a must though i have not needed one yet but i have them when they need it.If you have not already done so,get all your plows running the same fluid,whatever it may be so your not mixing stuff in the middle of a storm.

Some of the Meyers boys will help you out with the rest:waving:

13. ToyotaPower

So far the list goes like this:

1. Hoses
    2. Couplers
    3. Meyer Fluid (Blue Stuff)
    4. Set of Pins
    5. Solenoids A, B, and C

What else would you stock???

Would you go as far as stocking a Pump Replacement? Possibly a used one that was rebuilt?

Keep adding to the list...I want all my bases covered... :redbounce

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your going to get into reselling,go directly to a distributor or the mfg.Buying from a local outlet,and then reselling will probably not provide enough margin to make it profitable.

Fittings,hoses and couplers are probably better sourced directly from a Parker or other hydraulic supplier.

I would stock :

Plow markers
    Trip springs and mounting bolts
    Replacement angle and lift cyls
    A-frames\quadrants
    Lift chains
    Replacement headlamps and housings
    Pins,clips,nuts,and bolts,pivot bushings,etc
    Hydraulic hoses,couplers,and fittings
    Pumps and housings
    Solenoids.
    Common valves,coils and o-rings
    Spare motors
    General electrical repair items
    Various fluids

Guys who need plow repair stuff are funny,especially in a snowstorm.If you don't have pretty much everything in stock,they won't come back.Be prepared,and once word gets out you have the stuff,at reasonable prices,people will come.

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Fluid
    Plow hookup pints, bolts
    Hydro Hoses
    Guide Markers
    Solenoids
    Motors
    Valves
    Wiring harness
    Headlights
    Fuses, Wire, tape & misc. electrical items.
    Assorted bolts, pins, nuts, etc.. for when they loose the new ones in the snow trying to fix it.
    Tools you can loan out to make the repairs on the spot. (make them give you their license or keep their CC so they don't take off with em) like wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets...
    Don't bother with shoes unless you wanna sell all the ones you took off, lol...

16. ToyotaPower

Great info, Keep it coming...add to the list

17. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I say

Fluid
    Cutting edge bolts
    Pins
    hoses
    lightbulbs
    Die electric grease
    and trip springs

Jay

18. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Parts To Stock

Parts that I would recomend you keep in your Meyer repair parts inventory:
    Two Genuine Meyer motors
    Two extra complete couplers
    Two hydraulic hoses
    Four 90 degree 1/4"street elbows
    Two 90 degree 1/4" male swivel fittings
    Two sets of trip springs & eye bolts
    Two sets of hinge pins
    Two sets of pivot pins & tubes
    A dozen or so hair pin retaining clips
    Two solenoids
    Two cases of low temp hydraulic fluid
    "A"; "B"; "C"; valves and coils;
    Fuses for the controller and switches
    Two pair of blade markers'
    Two master seal kits
    Service manuals for the plows that you intend to service, this should get you pretty well on your way. There are quite a few distributors out there that would sell to you at a wholesale price, but "you" will have to make a commitment to them with a qualifying stock order, and maintain it as the other dealers do.

:rolleyes: John

19. BRL

Yep, That's just about everything I carry in my truck when out plowing. Also have a complete separate pump in case there's no time to troubleshoot\repair.

20. ToyotaPower

Great answers, making my Santa list this summer...HOHOHO

Anything else???:yow!: