1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a "stay back" sign

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tbrownell, Mar 28, 2008.

1. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

Hey anyone found a supplier that has signs that say "stay back 100' " or "this truck may back-up"?

I'm hoping that one of these on our road trucks would help keep people from pulling right in behind the truck at a stop sign when we are trying to back up and hit the other lane.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I you have a local highway dept. stop in and talk to them a lot of them have their own sign dept. and may sell you one.
  3. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

just spin er up they'll backoff...:D
  4. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

If you wanted to go the cheap route you could get a stencil kit and spray it on. Or you can try vynel lettering if you want a cleaner look. If all else fails try a google search, i know there are a lot of sign companies out there. Mike
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Good luck with that. Most people think 10 feet is 100 feet. The problem with a sign is after a halve hour of clearing, the back of your trucks are pretty covered. I saw this one guy who had 4 back up lights go on and a strobe, that got their attention. The best sign I ever saw was, " I"m backing up and I can"t see you" and it would light up when he put it in reverse. LOL Its really to bad we need signs at all. Drivers should be educated to stay back 100 feet from plow trucks, just like fire trucks. Unfortunately thats common sense, so it will never happen.
    Just in case, I don't mean just anyone with a plow on their truck.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Gemplers or A.W. Direct ought to have a sign to fit.
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I saw this in Northern Tool---it's a programmable LED billboard that goes on your tailgate with like 50 pre-recorded messages and a hand-held remote to customize new ones on the fly.
  8. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

the truck in question is a 03 ford superduty. im planing on mounting it on the back-rack behind the drivers rear window. Im also putting a 112db back up alarm on it and thinking about an hid back-up light (if i can part with that much payup !!!!)
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

112 db your neighbors are gonna hate you......wesport:drinkup:
  10. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

lol its auto adjusting so it keeps itself just above the sound level of the area and when im not out plowing i have a switch to turn it off.
  11. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Around here most fire trucks have the "stay back 300' " signs on them. Maybe talk to the local fire chief.
  12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't thinking so much of "talking" to anyone. If you should happen to find yourself walking behind a firetruck at a scene..... :D j/k
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would just get one made from a vinyl sign shop. I'm putting on steel plate bolted onto the back of one of the spreaders and having my logo put on it with vinyl. Should work the same, but good luck gettng people to listen....:rolleyes:
  14. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

There is a place here in buffalo, ny called emedco, they are a safety products company that carries them. Do a google search
  15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

112db. that will hurt your ears inside the truck. i have a 97db and that is more than annoying.
  16. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

lol I'm used to loud noises. The truck is a traffic management truck in the summer months so its equipped with dual 122 db siren speakers and all the other good stuff

I've also looked at emedco but i couldn't find one in their stock and it was going to be around $80 (shipped) to have them custom make one for me. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I prefer to keep it local.

I would check with the fire department too but I'm from the boondocks so we don't have any signs on the trucks
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  17. Blues Man

Blues Man Junior Member
    from SE Mich

tbrownell i would check with on of the local traffic control device companies? i believe that you have Give Em a Brake and Road Safe in your area. If not you could try Poco (which is in Canton ask to talk to John or State Barricade in Warren (586)756-8282 ask to talk to Tony tell him Wilson sent you) they will make the sign in any color you want.
  18. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

i had a sign made in bow n.h. berubes there number is 603 224 7370 they do a great job
  19. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i dont know what kinda truck this is going on but what about a magnetic sign that would go on the back of the truck....local sign shops could make them without a problem
  20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Given my past years experience with several jacka--es climbing up my tail end I'd say a sign that politely warns to stay back isn't going to cut it. I'm thinking of a sign that lights up and says;

" I get paid by the hour and am happy to wait all day for you to back off so you can have a safer driving experience "
    -or- simply "I can Wait"

My other thought would be laser cannons :waving: