1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a SAFE 2" lift.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wkahler, Sep 2, 2011.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Looking for a safe way to raise the front of my truck up about 2". It is a 2010 GMC 2500
    4x4, I installed Firestone air shocks last winter and it didn't give me but about 1/2" to 3/4" of actual lift and i lost that as soon as the plow got put on. I know a lot of guys twist there torsion bars down but not sure how safe that is or if it will do anything to my ride comfort and if it will actually "lift" my truck very much. A buddy has a 2006 and got his bars twisted in at the dealer and my truck sits higher stock then his is now. Let me know what you guys think.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

First off if you turn the bars down, it's going to drop your front end, not lift it. I had a S-10 blazer that after turning the bars up, I got almost 2 inches of lift out of them. Remember that once you start turning your bars in either direction, you need to have the front end re-aligned.
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Your ride will improve dramatically by turning up the torsion bars, you will be able to level the truck out no problem, mark them and turn them up exactly 6 full turns to start and see how you like it... I didn't get an alignment done and both my truck drive straight and true and tire wear is dead nuts... Why waste money when this will take you 2 minutes to do.... Literally!

Why did you think air shocks were safe? you could argu your putting too much weight and stress on the brackets and you could break them, they're not designed to hold the entire truck up in the air....
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

when i did my trucki bought the firestone ride rite 5k's. and then got different keys for the tbars and leveled the entire truck along with about an inch lift in the rear and 1.5, 1.75 front. rode decent and and looked good.
  5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

They are rated for well over the weight of my front end. I think it was a faulty shock. What tools are required to turn them up just a standard wrench?
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I was talking about the actual shock mount on the truck not the airbag its self....

I'm pretty sure its an 18mm socket, jacking the truck up will make it a tad easier....
  7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Oil them up a day before..Too!!