1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jamascou, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jamascou

jamascou Junior Member

I'm looking for a plow for my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. What would be the best plow to put on this truck. Thank you for your time.
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

The best one, is the one you can afford.

Which plow to buy is like asking which truck to buy, everyone has thier own oppinion as to which one is better. Me, I prefer Meyers, a good friend of mine wont buy nothing but fisher, and a guy I work with loves western. Everyone will tell you that they have never had a problem with the brand plows they like. Fact is, either they are lucky, have a short memory, or just don't want to admit it. I've had problems with my Meyers, but I still prefer them.

Best thing is get out and look at the different plows and see what YOU like, look at how they are installed and how the plow mounts. Also look at the controls for inside the truck, I know guys that absolutly hate thier controls and say they will never get another one with the same controls.

Another thing to consider is service, and parts. How many dealers do you have in your area incase you need a part in a hurry.
  4. jamascou

jamascou Junior Member

Thank you for answering my post i have bin looking into the snowdogg plows. The only thing is i really don't know a lot about there plows. have you used a snowdogg plows be for.
  5. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Out of curiosity Geer Hed, why do you prefer Meyer? I have been checking out three different plow forums and you are the only one to put that in writing. Normally the words garbage and junk are used in the same sentence when people discuss Meyer. And eight out of ten used plow trucks up for sale in my neck of the woods just happen to come with a Meyer. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.
  6. jamascou

jamascou Junior Member

I think that I would say I will not buy a Meyer plow for my truck
  7. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

I will agree with you on that based only on what I've read, because I have not seen a single one on local trucks. I've been wrestling with the Fisher/Western decision for awhile. Fella named Jim from ESI sent me a very informative E-mail, and got me thinking seriously about SnowDogg. For driveways and a few small parking lots with an older half ton, MD75 or HD75 are woth taking a look at. I haven't read anything negative about quality, the lighter weight, and price can't be ignored.
  8. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Buy a plow that a dealer is not too far from you and the service is good.
  9. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would wait til spring and check craigslist. Gonna be some lowballers going out of business after this lousy season....never fails.
  10. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Definitely go with whichever dealer is close to you. Preferably someone who is open 24 hours during storms, because things will break eventually.
  11. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Just dont get anything less than 8' , 7.5' sucks on a full size pickup.
  12. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

1/2 ton dodge you want light weight.... Not the strongest front ends. Snowdogg MD75 with the backdrag added. Fri8ends run Boss and Western and for driveway work and small lots the Dogg does a great job imho. I've run mine three years, zero issues. Started out with a mercury mountaineer and moved over to the dodge (04) same chassis you have w/ a 4.7 It's specific on mounting but once you get it figured out it's ez.
  13. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

It makes sense to wait until this season is over, seeing that we don't get snow here after mid-March. Guys have been out plowing a whopping three times thus far. Dustings and 1-2 inches here and there have been the norm. Craigslist is already loaded with guys dumping their equipment from last "winter", I can imagine how many more guys are going to bail after this one. What do you think of giving away five inches in blade height? Two trip springs versus four? Those are the differences between the MD and HD series. I have a good friend with ten years experience ( small-medium sized lots ) who highly recommends four springs. Trip edge versus full trip? Lots of questions from a newbie, I know. Thanks for your feedback and patience.
  14. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

My preference is Western.
    Only issues I have had with my pro plus in the last 3 years was replacing the lines -(I think a rock flew and gouged one. I always replace all the lines at once and keep the old ones that are good just in case.)
    Now having said that, like others have said;
    Look for a dealer that is close and will be open during a storm if something does happen and you can't fix it yourself.
    And check out craigs list for used ones.
    You might have to refit it but if you can pick one up cheap enough it could save you a few thousand.
  15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with something light. The front end on that truck sucks and will eat parts. I've replaced everything in the front of my dodge this winter due to plowing. I run a Fisher 7 1/2' HD.
  16. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well Vingino, I grew up using a meyer plow. My dad had an E60 pump with 6.5 blade that was used for at least 35 years. He replaced the motor twice and had the pump rebuilt once. IN 35 YEARS. I think thats a damn good track record. Oh and we still have the E60 as a back up pump, still works strong. About 10 years ago we upgraded to an E47 pump. we baught it used and had to have a new seal kit installed and thats all. Oh yeh the first plow outlasted all 5 vehicles we used it on and the second plow is going to be installed 0n it's 3rd vehicle this summer.So why do I like meyers, because they havent let me down, I have definataly gotten my moneys worth out of them. Now like I said before they are not perfect,we have had to replace couplers and hoses, those are normal wear items, just like brakes on a vehicle, and we have had to remove, and clean a valve now and then but thats it.

Like I said though thats just me. I do like the new style quick hitch on the westerns, but other than that I just don't care for them. Oh well, I don't care for GM either, but thats just me. I have been looking at the snow dogs also, They look like a decent plow to me, and I would cincider buying one. And it seems like others like them to, but still hate meyers. Which I don't get. I mean snow dog is made by Buyers. Buyers has been making parts for Meyers for years, See the pattern.

Any thing else, just let me know, I'm allways willing to try and help.
  17. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Thanks geer hed. That is some track record. I was always curious how Meyer went from being the only game in town ( I grew up in the '70s ) to the low man on the totem pole. Upon further reading it seems that most of the gripes seem to be about certain pumps. I'm days away from purchasing either a truck with existing plow, or the SnowDogg MD75 . Dealer has them in stock and only needs a day's notice for the install. Would you mind sharing the desired pump model I should look for with all of the Meyers out there available for sale? Thanks.
  18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Upgraded to E47? You do realize the E47 is slower and runs less pressure than an E60 right?

As far as Meyer in general I got nothing against them. Ran mine for many years without a single issue, still have it one my back up truck. I still fire it up now and again for my driveway, works every time. Change the fluid and keep the lift ram up when not in use and it will last forever. So you can add me to the list of people that like Meyer.
  19. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I Buying another Boss V.. But love the western MPV V plow.. Go V instead of a straight plow.. Also parts need to be close
  20. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm sorry I meant an E46 not the E60. I've got E60 on the brain cause we were just talking about one today, My boss has one on his personal truck he wants me to tear down and reseal. But you do have to admit the E47 is a step up from a 46. That thing is an antique when it dies, it's done cause you can't get parts for it. The last time I asked the dealer about it he started laughing at me and said he didn't think any of them still existed. For those of you who don't know the e46 was the first electrotouch plow pump meyers made, it was only up and down no power angle. Oh crap thinking back I'm starting to feel old.

Thank you Kimber for bringing me back to reality.