1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new v box spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cpmnate, Nov 26, 2014.

1. cpmnate

cpmnate Junior Member

Hey everyone I'm going to have to replace my hiniker v box spreader and wondering what experiences you all have had with various different machines. My current spreader is a chain gas driven unit and over the years we have had problems with frozen chunks of sand clogging up the unit and bridging in the hopper. We are only spreading sand/salt mix and even though we try to mix it thoroughly we inevitably get some frozen spots we have been looking at the new Hiniker 775 auger electric drive as we are being told it handles the frozen pieces much better my concerns are the electric drive and the auger feed system how much amp draw and delivery if anyone has any feed back I would greatly appreciate it Thank you and have a great thanksgiving
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Threads on gas vers electric,,,chain vers auger. Try the salt section.
  3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss VBX with drag chain Electric

If i set up another it would be a Swenson Hydro
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I just got a Swenson electric SS V box with an auger. I think it's fantastic, I have only ran about 20 tons through it so far but no problems at all. I've used everything, gas, chains, hydro and even smaller electric units like the SnowEx. IMO, gas v-box work awesome when they work but have lots of problems and maintenance, under tailgate hydro units are bullet proof but are difficult to regulate the exact amount of salt flow and normally spread uneven, this new electric I have seems great, i'ts nice that you can adjust flow rate and spinner speed separately, regardless of vehicle RPMs like a hydro unit. Lastly, I have had no power issues, the electric motor seems more than strong enough. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. cpmnate

cpmnate Junior Member

Thank you for the response I have not looked at the Swenson brand, I think I should though do you think that the unit would process small semi frozen chunks or bind up? Does it seem to discharge enough product? Does it seem to draw down the electrical system to much? Thank you again for the response
  6. acs powerwash

acs powerwash Junior Member

Electric Swenson

Vaughn, what kind of throw do you get out of the Swenson?
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I normally have the auger setting at 4-5 and that's plenty. The spinner is set to 6 and spreads a full two lanes, so its one pass through the apartments and lanes. Both of them are 1-10 with a blast button. As far as draw on the truck I have not noticed anything, not even a dim in the headlights, it's on a Isuzu NPR HD 2003. Lastly as far as eating up big chunks, I have yet to have a lot of frozen salt so it's hard to tell but so far I do not anticipate any problems.