1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new straight 8

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Trackstand, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Trackstand

Trackstand Junior Member

Rondo seems to have the best price for a HD straight 8. $4400 OTD installed. Thoughts for a newbe? had a Hiniker 7.5 12 years ago and worked like a charm. My last plow was a western 7.5 uni mount. Its going on My 2013 Ram 2500

Thanks

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Good price on a great plow, do it!

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Rondo seems to have the best advertised prices. Call your local dealer and see if they will match Rondos price...unless Rondo is your local dealer.
    Curious why you're only going with an 8'?

4. Trackstand

Trackstand Junior Member

Yes they do :nod: going top call tomorrow and price a 8.5 V-plow. 8' is plenty of plow. plus I am dragging back and forth from Our home here in Il. up to Our cabin in Baldwin Mi. I would guess that a V-plow would be much better on the Hwy gas wise rather then an 8' wind sail. :laughing:

5. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i bought my 8' about 6yrs ago from Arlington Power in Palatine (rte 12) for around $3,700 NOT INSTALLED. i don't know what their prices are now a days but its worth a phone call. just my $.02

6. NBI Lawn

I'd do some research. An 8' is kinda small but if youre only doing driveways or personal use it would be fine. Your truck will handle just about any plow available. I don't know if I'd be going on road trips with a plow on though.

Nothing against Hiniker, which is all we run, but I'd look at a Western or Boss. The Hinikers don't seem to hold up to commercial plowing like the others. We run 7 Hinikers for "light" commercial plowing. We have had 20+ plows in the last 3-4years. In the last 2 years we have repaired; 5 main hoops which were either bent or broken completely, 1 trip edge which ripped off, 3 broken A-frames (in different spots), 1 truck mount. The V plow broke both headlights off because they snap back so hard. ALL the Hinikers I have ever seen have had these issues. Hiniker customer service left a bad taste in my mouth when I asked for dealer cost on the mount that broke...they are well aware of the mount issue they had hense the redesign. They basically told me to pound sand.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  7. Trackstand

Trackstand Junior Member

Nothing small about an 8' and I cant count how many trips I have made with a plow on My truck! other then gas mileage sucking whats the issue? never had any .... seems to Me if I had Your bad luck with Hinikers I would spend My money some where else. the Hiniker I had years ago worked like a champ. made Me lots of coin. western and boss are good also they just dont have the same price point.

Talked with Rondo a bit ago $5800 for a 8.5 V-plow. I will stick with My 8 straight. install date is the 24th :drinkup:

8. NBI Lawn

8' isn't that big. Never said you cant drive with the plow on but it sure doesn't seem like a great idea. Decreased air flow, unneeded wear on front end parts, safety, just to name a few. Hiniker, just like other companies use the same mount and main hoop for their 7.5'-9' including V's. The smaller plows like the 8' don't seem to have the problems since they weigh less. They arent made strong enough tomhold up to the bigger plows. Basically, they are just stong enough for an 8' which inst very reassuring. They have changed the truckmside mount hoping to fix that problem and the new plows have a gusset on the hoop. They may be "fixed" but put a Hiniker next to a Boss or Western and then tell me they look tough.
    Price point is right there with Boss and Western...they aren't any less. I am stuck with Hiniker for now but as trucks are replaced I will be looking at other options. Not saying Hiniker is out but they aren't #1 on the list.

OP, do some looking before dropping $4500+. Look at mounting systems, wire harnesses, frame construction, lights and the hand held controller. You are the only one that can make the right choice for yourself and your specific needs. I/we are here to offer help with personal experiences. Like I said, I have personally owned 20+ Hinikers. Some older and some newer (none with the new mount) but all had the same issues unless they were <8'. I've had plenty of 7.5' and 8's.

9. Trackstand

Trackstand Junior Member

picked her up today ;)

plow 1.jpg

plow 2.jpg

10. NBI Lawn

They look so nice when they are newThumbs Up! How it works well for you!