1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new salter/sander. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Krasy Joe, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Krasy Joe

Krasy Joe Junior Member

Im new to this industry and am looking to replace the old modified hopper fertilizer spreader, that came with the business, with a new V-Box. I have been looking at the different ones that are available and keep going back to the Tornado.

- Does anyone have any feedback about the different V-Box salters?
    - Are there any that dont jam up as bad as others?
    - Is there a counter to keep track of how much salt/sand you use at any particular job site?

btw...it will be going on a GMC 3500 with beefed up springs.
  2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have owned 3 V boxes over the past 20 years. 2 Western 8 footers and 1 Flink 8 foot. I had excellent luck with them. The best was a Western 8 foot with the Briggs and Stratton 10hp I/C engine. Time and experience will teach you to be able to tell how much you use per job. If I were to purchase another V box, it would be a Western Icebreaker 8 foot.
  3. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

We have couple guys who come down each year and calibrate there spreaders. I load them up and they pull on the scale get there weight, then back up to the salt pile and time how long it takes to unload.They seem to have it down to about 115lbs/min with bulk rock salt.
  4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i haven't been in vbox's for that long but i have two poly and a flink SS and idk about the guys that have been doing it longer then me but i love the poly spreaders. i have a snow-ex 6000 and a Tornado and i must say i like the Tornado just because it still spreads wet salt unlike my snow-ex
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

This is what i got. I like it. But it is the only spearder i have ever owned so i cant tell you much about others.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cv2fzVQLRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMNFqwiLBT0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My next new spreader will be stainless steel, with two electric motors.
  7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

What spreader?

I have used several different spreaders over the past thirty years. They are all good new. I think the true value in a spreader is how it performs a few years old. I say that to say this.

Six years ago we switched to SnowEx because it has no chains, belts, motors, or pulleys. This significantly reduced our cost per hour of operation by eliminating the majority of our maintenance costs. Six years into the SnowEx product line and five different models, the only issue we have had was with a vibrator which was replaced under warranty.

Choose what you think is best for you, but in our case SnowEx offered us less maintenance, better material flow control due to the auger feed system versus a chain and drag system, and more profits. Good luck!
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wayne - how have the painted steel frames held up on your Snow-Ex? That seems to be the Achilles heal on them. Nice bright yellow hopper, frame all rusted to crap in two years.
  9. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey bud Heres my new tornado 1.8 yd 7 footer.... And it's on your truck too....:nod: I've gotten 2 yds in it by spreading it around with a shovel and it's been great I've only ran 5 tons through it but it's been flawless.... I've even left 1 yd in it for 3 weeks and it still spread it no problem!!!! I use straight salt.... I love that everything is plastic or stainless steel, 6 grease nipples, the lid is great no water gets inside, Vary simple plug in 2 hour install..... You won't be disappointed
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you running table salt through that?
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

LOL thats what it looks like. :laughing:
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx Frames

For us, we paint the frames when we are finished with them in the spring and then again before we put them back on in the winter. This seems to keep them in pretty good shape. Doesn't take much time or effort since there is such a small amount of steel to paint.
  13. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

K question for you guys I know this sounds "stupid" unproffessional what ever you want to call it. But does anyone know if there is a SS electric spreder out there that looks like a Downeaster with the slight "grade" to the grate