1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking for a new cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigpapawack, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bigpapawack

bigpapawack Junior Member

does anyone know a site or 2 where i can get a new cutting edge for my minute mount with the insta-act pump 7.5ft? also, would a 8.5ft blade fit it? do they make new edges with a back blade edge also like western does?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

buy the time you pay truck freight shipping i bet it would be cheeper to go to your fisher dealer and buy one. http://www.fishersnowplows.com/dl_east.asp

and as to the blade switch i cant tell you for sure. but i do know the older speedcaster plows had a light duty and heavy duty truck side. and the switch over point was 7.5 down for light duty and 8ft up for heavy duty. the truck side frame was spaced wider on the hd stuff.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Def go to your Fisher dealer or a steel supplier that sells plow equipment.

4. bigpapawack

Can you explain the light duty and heavy duty stuff please.I don't know anything about that and the 7.5 down and 8 up? Thanks

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

blade width i am refering to.

7 1/2 ft blade / 8 ft blade / so on.

if you find one take a tape measure and check the width of the 2 bottom aframe mounting ears were it clips in to your mm1 head gear. if the same then it will fit.

6. bonwalt

bonwalt Junior Member

www.backdragblades.com makes a backdrag blade that fits a Fisher. I put one on this year and it works great. Only problem is my cutting edge is down to 5.5" and I will need a 8" high cutting edge as the backdrag blade now keeps it up.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The cutting edge and backdrag edge should wear together......

8. bigpapawack

thanks for all the info so far! how would i know what model my plow is? there are no stickers on it anymore besides on the pump and it says "insta-act" and its a 7 and a half foot. also, any guesses on what year it could be going by the pump? i was told most western ultra mount parts would fit it cause they are the same company now?

9. bonwalt

bonwalt Junior Member

The backdrag blade causes the cutting edge to sit high. I don't have a easy way of cutting it down.

10. bigpapawack

Would a new cutting blade make back dragging better also? Also is there a way to have the plow down and not in float mode? Float mode goes over the snow sometimes while back dragging

11. bonwalt

bonwalt Junior Member

depending on how wet the snow is. The plow doesn't lock down. The backdrag works great, but with my cutting edge sitting high floats now. That is why am looking for a 8" cutting edge.

12. bigpapawack

Even if u hold the button down?

13. bonwalt

bonwalt Junior Member

yes, plow is not designed to lock down. Not many that i know off do. It is either float or hold, and hold only locks the lift at that position--but still floats

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you do! Just drop the blade on some clean black top. Couple miles ought to do it:D

15. bonwalt

bonwalt Junior Member

we just had the big snow storm and i don'g plow much. so will have to wait, but i like that ideal. it will beat replacing the edge.