1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Mentor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rpm, Aug 4, 2009.

1. rpm

rpm Junior Member

We have started a new business this year in the Windsor, Ontario area. We are a property maintenance company and with winter approaching we need to start quoting snow removal to our grass clients (industrial and commercial). We are purchasing a new Ford F250 4x4 or 350 4x4 and a V plow. We have a F 150 4x2 set up with a Snow Bear personal plow which is a little scary as it is not heavy duty. My oldest son has worked last winter season for another company clearing snow. What I would like to find is someone who knows the business that would be kind enough to mentor us.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My advise would be to join SIMA, they have a buddy program, & sample agreements avaible for members. Probably best $ 170 you'll ever spend, check it out.
  3. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Joined SIMA

Thanks for the advice RLM. I've looked the SIMA site over and joined. I've also booked into their bid building workshop in Toronto Ontario in September. I believe you are right, this will be the best money I ever spent.
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Help with Bidding

I have a Snow & Ice Management Bidding package available for plowsite members that includes:
    1) a comprehensive snow & ice management manual

2) a CD that has several different contract templates, proposal formats, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, and many more. These are all in Microsoft word format and completely customizable by you.

3) a CD called Quick Estimator for snow & ice that calculates plowing time, deicing material rates, hand labor, etc. It is an excel spreadsheet format and you simply fill in the blanks about the particular job site such as square footage, equipment type and size you will be using and it will calculate a per push rate, flat rate, or seasonal contract.

I also do snow & ice management seminars in Ontario sponsored by SnowEx. Keep an eye on my website for a seminar near you. Mike Mason, one of the presenters in the build a bid workshop with SIMA, actually demonstrates cost recovery based on the system I developed. I call it Know why you charge what you charge. Industry standards are nice, but you must bid your jobs based on your actual costs per hour of operation for your company.

Check out our banner ad as a sponsor of this site. If you have any questions, you can reach me at 800-845-0499.
  5. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Thank You for the lead on your website. I've signed up for your newsletter and will definitely be watching for one of your seminars. Do you come to the Detroit area? Your estimating materials are of interest as well and we may lean on them for support in the near future.
    Thank You,
  6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Careful what you DL from Wayne's site, No offense Wayne, but I've heard multiple complaint bout guys getting beat up with trojans from that page, and i don't mean the ribbed kind or the ones from USC.
  7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Chris & Everyone else on this site,

Thanks for your comments. Our web host has removed the issue causing a "FALSE" positive for Trojans. Our site is clean and we are doing regular checks to make sure it stays that way. With the very sensitive anti-virus programs available, false positives are being created based on individual settings on your own computer.

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused anyone. Please give us a call if this happens to you while visiting our site.
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

In Detroit area frequently

Thanks for signing up for our news letter. By the way, did you have any Trojan issues when you visited our site? We think we have the issue fixed.
  9. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Trojans? What trojans?

Good Morning Wayne,
    I had a very positive experience at your website Tuesday. I didn't encounter any trojans nor did I expect to find any. Heck, I didn't even see a link on your site where I could download a wooden horse.