1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a cart, or dolly for snow plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA snoman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I am looking for a cart or a dolly for my Western unimount plow. I have done some looking on net and found one on Ebay but now I cannot find it. I wanted to know who has what and how they like it. I know I am gonna purchase one, just want to make sure I buy the right one. thanks for help.
    :help: :)

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

I used a snowmobile dolly for my Meyer. Two of the dollys have a nice crease in them for the blade edge to set in and I mounted a small bottle jack on the flat one to hold up the "A" frame. Works good for under $50.

Denny

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

There's the idea. I was going to say, there was a thread on here about this just a few weeks ago about this, and it was stated that someone used SOMEthing that wasn't exactly a plow dolly, but was basically the same thing for ALOT less money. This was it.

5. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I had done the same thing for my 8.5 Meyer, used the snowmobile dolly's. However, after dropping the blade down on them for less than one season, they started to bend and fold to the point where they will not roll. They just weren't made for the weight/shock of that blade. I made my own heavy duty with square plate steel and castors. If you email me at dean0311@charter.net, I can give you step by step directions, and photos of the finished product. I had about $50 wrapped up into it, but will last forever.

6. BDB

BDB Senior Member

If you do not use your skids bolt some wheels to those and then use a floor jack on the back (truck end). Works really slick and you will not bend them....if you don't have the plow drop unreasonably fast. Just get some good heavy duty caster wheels so it is easy to wheel around. Another thing is a movers dolly behind the back...but you then have to set it on it an dhave the right height.

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

We had 4 sets of plow shoes laying around. We went to the local farm supply store (TSC) purchased some large castors and welded them to the bottom of the plow shoes. On the frame side we are making a small bracket to accept the other castor, we temporaly have it held on with vice grips. One guy can roll the blade around with no problem. It was super inexpensive.

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I use three furniture dollies. You know, like a U-Haul would rent to you. Works real good since all the wheels turn. Only problem is large bumps!

9. BDB

BDB Senior Member

The wheels on the plow skids takes care of the wheels sliding out. Seeing that they are attached! The back one it is up to you if you want it attached. You can weld them but I bolted them just in case I ever needed to use them for plowing.....not likely but I still have the option. Western makes wheels for the heavy weight plows that mount to them. You could also use those but they are expensive for what they are. Look at western's web site that may give you another idea.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have seen many on Ebay. Most of them are very simple and easy to make yourself. 2 aliminum u channel pieces in a t shape with 3 casters (one on each end) followed with small (1980'2 style Chevy car jack) on the truck side.