1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dodge15004x45.9, Jul 21, 2014.

1. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

So I have a snowdogg now on my old truck and its time to pony up for a new plow for the newer truck. The truck is a 3/4 dodge cummins. How good are these westerns how long does the paint last? Hydro/electrical issues? Is the mounting system really as good as they claim? Looking to buy the plow soon.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Paint last? Really it powder coat. It's a plow. It's not a toy. Your gunna scratch it.
    And western has been around just about the longest. So that means something

3. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Look no reason to be a smart ass about it. I was just asking.

Thank you for your help.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

you looking for a boss asking about a western? don't understand!

5. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I changed it is that better?

6. dieselss

Your pushing snow, you already know what it does to tbe plow. And your asking if the "paint" holds up. Yea some of it holds up, some parts don't.
    Gotta have some thick skin in this business.
    Your gunna get good and bad answers. Some like this some don't. Some have maintained theres and some havent. The ones who haven't cry about them. It's the old which trk question

7. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I don't think dieselss was trying to be a smart ass, and actually that was a pretty accurate answer. Their powdercoat process is better in recent years than it used to be, and should be at least as good as any other plow around, so no worries.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

You have a Snowdogg on your "old" truck.......Why not another Snowdogg???......Western is a Good Plow.....All plows have their warts that rise to the surface from time to time.....

10. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I like the pivot bar which is why I was looking at western and not snowdogg. I don't have any flat ground at my house so when I drop the plow it can be a pain to drop/attach it. Also my truck is red lol. I really wish they made a stainless.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mvp3 is available in SS.

12. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

My western dealer quoted me 4860 installed for an 8ft. When I go in person to see what they will give me for my dogg I'll have to ask about that MVP. I just think the MVP is little over kill for my needs. I only do an handful of drives, mostly my own 200ft drive with 2 large parking areas.

This also maybe a dumb question but can you grease these plows like the snowdogg?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  13. dieselss

Only the pivot bar pins you can spray whatever in the pins and such

14. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Ok cause my dogg has 3 grease points.

15. dieselss

Well western straight has 2
    Not quite sure what the big issue is?

16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

OK if you want a stainless and looking at a Douglas Dynamics plow, why not a Fisher? Imo they're better than a Western but again that's just my opinion.

17. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

It's not an issue.